*ZoMbIe ChIcKeNs* are they in your neighborhood?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by denahli, Aug 6, 2008.

1. denahli

denahli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Okay for real I saw this acrticle and had to share:

Zombie chicken is a term used for an improperly sedated chicken that awakens after being buried for compost.

In the poultry industry, "spent" hens that are too old to lay eggs are typically killed and composted. They are not used for meat, as these chickens typically yield one pound of edible meat, compared to five pounds yielded by a bird that has been raised to be eaten. The industry practice is to place the birds in a container filled with carbon dioxide until asphyxiated, and then covered with sawdust to facilitate composting. The compost is typically sold to farmers.

However, sometimes hens that have not been properly sedated will survive to climb out of the sawdust layers. Such birds are nicknamed Zombie Chickens by workers. Animal rights advocates view the appearance of zombie chickens as evidence that elderly hens are not being killed humanely. An unidentified source has stated that two out of every 40,000 hens survives the process. [1]

Zombie chickens are celebrated in the Troma production of Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead as well as the comedic/horror novel Cluck: A Murder Most Fowl by Eric D. Knapp.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  2. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    Poor chickens...

3. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    Poor girls
    [​IMG]

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    ODD - you would think they would use the meat in animal foods or something and not just waste them. [​IMG]

5. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Not if they were being killed bc they tested positive for bird flu...it was pretty common when that bid scare was going around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by