Zone 5

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Dingo, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

Can cots handle the winter temps in zone 5, we can see a couple weeks of single digits and a few nights below 0. Extremes we can see would be -15, rarely do we get below that. The majority of the winter is teens-low 20's. WOuld they need supplemental heat? They will have a coop thats 4'x2'. Also if I dont supplement the lighting can all 6 stay together for warmth or will the roo's fight?
    The other option would be the basement.

2. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    My cots do fine in cold temps, but temps here seldom get to 0 or below, but it will stay in the teens with a neg wind chill factor for weeks on end. I would definitely supplement with a light bulb. Doesn't need to be a heat lamp, 40 watt in a good poultry reflective fixture will work fine, goal is to keep ambient temp above 35...you don't need to heat them to 70+ like you would like to live. Have several birds together so they can form a "covy" to share body heat.

3. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    All birds will climatize to your region if raised there all year.I do not believe in any heat source for birds.My reason is,if you lose power they will probably die.Birds produce down for warmth,if you supply them with heat,they do not produce the down they require to keep them warm.Now if you heat them,power goes out,what will keep them warm?I would poly the sizes of the pen,but disaggree with the heat source.I am in N.H. and I raise cockatiels and diamond doves outside year round with just poly around the pen.The birds are healthier and hardier.I even raise peacock pheasants outside with no heat and they require heat so they say.Well they produced 4 chicks this year,the hen set on her own eggs on the last clutch and the chicks are doing great.[​IMG]I changed the poly in this pic.The 1st 2 pens get complete cover with poly and this is where my coockatiels,diamond doves and peacock pheasants winter.The other pens get poly from 3feet and up,the bottom is uncovered.[​IMG]I don't know if you can make out the snow in the pic.Snow will insulate your pen.[​IMG]
    In N.H.,Tony.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Most quail, with the exception of Buttons and other exotic species can handle very cold temps if given proper shelter. Offer them an enclosure of some sort if their area is not already enclosed, so that they can get out of all wind, rain and snow. They can survive temps well near and slightly below zero. I only add heat lamps when the temp drops below zero or goes into the minus zone. But otherwise, they snuggle close, burrow into the hay and they are fine. [​IMG]

5. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

so what bedding works better in the winter? hay? shavings? straw? I was thinking of setting them up a solar heating system, maybe two different kinds (solar can heat emitter and a solar panel system for night heating) so power outages wouldn't matter.

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The only problem you might have is if you have crazy temp swings like we do here. This spring there were a few times when the temps went from 80+ one day to >40 the next, I lost a few of my older birds. But as long as yours have a place to get out of the wind, they should do fine.

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I like hay for snuggling in, however I am sure shavings will be ok too.

8. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    I personally like pineshavings or the carefreash bedding(recycled newspaper) for absorbancy but pine is alot more economical. For warmth or nesting material I prefer Hay or straw. Some lower quality (not moldy and rotten) hay would probably be better because it is less coarse and fluffs up better. By lower quality hay I meen some praire hay or native grass over 1st cutting alfalfa, not being for feed it dosn't have to have great protein or fiber value. You just want some clean hay that will fluff up nicely and provide warmth. Tony I really like your set up, what do you meen by poly? poly tarps or just sheet plastic? Do you have problems with the wind ripping it up?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by