zoning laws, Chesterfield Co, VA

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by Ginger57, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Ginger57

Ginger57 New Egg

Jun 22, 2011
    Is there anyone out there interested in changing the zoning laws for residential property in Chesterfield Co? I have come across a petition to the BOS to change the laws. There are some issues with it, it's not very specific, but is a good starting point, to get together the people interested in making these changes.
    A concern I have is that while 3 hens is reasonable for a small city lot, out in Chesterfield one might have 3 to 10 acres to work with, and 3 hens isn't very many. One could easily manage 10 or a dozen, plus a few ducks or turkeys, or rabbits.

The current law states that one must apply for a conditional use permit to have a residential stock farm. To do this, one must get permission from one's neighbors and petition the BOS, at a cost of 1000.00. This is prohibitively expensive. And there is no guarantee, or even likely-hood that it might be granted. This applies whether one wants to have a dozen chickens, a few dwarf goats, or a single rabbit in a hutch as a pet for a child.
    Now, there are different rules in areas zone agricultural. One has to have a minimum of 3 acres, and I forget the particulars there, not being in the agricultural zone.
    I urge people in Chesterfield who are interested in keeping small livestock, to sign the petition, as a starting point. There is a FB site working on this, called Chickunz, working on chicken laws in Richmond, Henrico and Chesterfield. Anyone interested in forming a group, can PM me, although there may already be a group started. Thank you.

2. Alphabroker

Alphabroker New Egg

Aug 23, 2012
    It seems like Chesterfield should copy Richmond and permit people to to have fresh eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by