Zucchini bread

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by arabianequine, Sep 15, 2011.

1. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    I need a good moist zucchini bread recipe. I was given zucchini and want to make sweet bread with it. Also can I grate up some of the zucchini and freeze it? Does it go brown or anything I should know about?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  2. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    This is my favorite recipe for zucchini bread, especially the chocolate version: [​IMG]

1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
    2/3 cup sugar
    1/4 cup skim milk
    1/4 cup eggs
    2 tablespoons applesauce
    2 tablespoons local wildflower honey
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
    1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
    3/4 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/8 teaspoon salt

Preheat the oven to 350º. Coat an 8" × 4" no-stick loaf pan with no-stick spray; set aside.

Place the zucchini on paper towels and pat dry.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, milk, eggs, applesauce, honey, vanilla, cinnamon and cloves.

In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the zucchini and the milk mixture. Using a large wooden spoon, stir just until the ingredients are thoroughly combined (do not overmix).

Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove the bread from the pan and cool on a wire rack.

Servings: 10

Notes: VARIATION
    CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI BREAD: Add 1/2 cup cocoa powder to the dry ingredients. If desired, add 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips along with the zucchini.

3. erinchelsea

erinchelsea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Webster City, IA
    I shred and freeze my zucchini, 2 cups per bag because that's how much a recipe usually calls for. It works great, doesn't turn brown or anything. I use it for bread, muffins, brownies, and soup. [​IMG]

4. erinchelsea

erinchelsea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Webster City, IA
  5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    This recipe has been in my family a long time. It's certainly not healthy and it tastes more like a cake than bread. Everyone that my mom and I have given it to love it. I make it every summer and freeze it in foil. We eat it all year.

To grate the zucchini, put a bit of water in a blender, add chopped zucchini (skin and all) and puree.

3 eggs beaten
    2 cups sugar
    3 teaspoons vanilla
    1 cup oil
    2 cups flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    3 teaspoons cinnamon
    2 cups grated zucchini
    1 cup nuts (optional)

Mix eggs, sugar, vanilla and oil. Then add dry ingredients and zucchini. Stir in nuts. Pour into greased loaf pans (or any pan you have). Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until done. (toothpick method of done)

6. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    Quote:How do I measure 1/4c. of eggs? Is that like 1 or 2 eggs?

7. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    Quote:I believe it is one large egg or two small. I would crack an egg into a measuring cup and see what you get. The original recipe that I adapted this from called for 1/4 cup egg substitute, but why on earth would we want to use a substitute? [​IMG]

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Hi! Yeah, you can grate the zucchini and it will be fine!(i froze it in 2 cup batches because thats what the recipe called for) (just squeze it out good after thawing..)
    I also froze the extra zuch bread and it came out of the freezer fine! [​IMG]

9. arabianequine

Apr 4, 2010
    Quote:Thank you all for the advice and recipes. [​IMG]

I made this one. It made 2 loaves. It is sooooo good and soft. I added some grated carrot too it to. I had one huge zuchini and it made 6 cups of grated zuchini. I froze the other 4 cups in 2 cup packages. I even froze the other loaf I made since it is just me eating it. I had my first 4 little eggs yesterday from my new hens.....so I used those and 1 other regular size egg.

Anything with that much oil and egg has to be good and soft. Thank you again!

10. arabianequine

Apr 4, 2010
    Quote:I like the chocolate idea. I though about putting chocolate chips in mine but I did not this time, maybe next time. [​IMG] Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by