Zucchini Candy

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by marymac, Jul 29, 2010.

1. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    With all the new things to do with zucchini, i now have learned of zucchini candy. I want to make it, and it sounds so easy it's crazy, but has any one here ever made it and is it really that good? It would be another good way to use up some of that big zucchini.

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    No matter how nicely you say it, or how much I love my zukes, "zucchini candy" sounds yuck.

3. marymac

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    I agree it does sound weird, but after it is sweetened and flavored with kool-aid and dehydrated it is supposed to be like gummy bear, or those fruit snacks. Here is a pic but not mine.
    [​IMG]

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Welll.. wheres the recipe!!?? I wanna try it..

5. marymac

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
  6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Thanks!
    Darn..i dont have a dehydrator though... [​IMG]
    Wonder if i could do it in the oven??

7. marymac

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    I bet if you can set your oven low enough you could. I make jerky in my oven and it turns out fine. Might be quicker even.

8. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Well, I will try anything once. Shall we all do a test run this weekend and meet back here with results?

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    This is so crazy I have to try it! [​IMG]

I will have an abundance of squash in a few weeks. Right now I am just getting a trickle of ripe ones. Once I am up to my eyeballs I will give this a try.

NOTE: I will be using erythritol instead of sugar so it will actually be a healthy snack.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  10. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    I go to the site where the recipe is from, I love that site, anyone wanting to know the safety of canning food should go there and learn! It is a great site!
    This recipe has gotten rave reviews by the regulars, so it makes me want to try it all the more!
    I have tried a few of their recipes and never have I been disappointed! They say black cherry is the best! Some have made more natural flavors such as mint, and have included the recipes!
    I will try as soon as I find some zukes, mine have been killed by the squash vine borer! I hate them bugs, they get me every year!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by