Zucchini side dish recipes?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Chickerdoodle13, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm looking for some simple zucchini side dish recipes I can make after work today. I'm planning to boil up some pasta and add fresh garlic scape pesto to it that I made this past weekend. I have a zucchini from my garden that I'd like to use, but I would like to make something different. Any ideas? I also have carrots, onions, potatoes, and some canned vegetables. I also have plenty of spices. Usually I just steam it with butter, but I know there has to be tons of ways to make zucchini!

2. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    I always choose zucchini and yellow squash and sautee the 2 together in butter ......crispy not soggy

3. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Ohio
    Ok we just went to the neighbors for dinner and we had Chicken zucchini alfredo.
    She shaved the zuke long ways with a peeler for the noodles and cooked chicken in skillet before hand cut into chunks. Then cooked the zuke noodles in the alfredo sauce and added the chicken.It was really good.

4. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks guys! Those sound like delicious ideas! I know I will have tons more zucchinis once I go home so I will probably try both of those.

I ended up making up my own kind of recipe using fire roasted tomatoes, onions, garlic, and zucchini. It was almost like a primavera and was delicious! I took pictures of each step and I am going to try and post them when I can!

5. biddybird

biddybird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    Google Moms zuchinni bread for something different to do with that extra zuchinni. I substituted cashews for the walnuts the first time I made it and it was a great hit. My garden is gone and everyone is missing it!!! [​IMG]

6. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    I use a Spirooli to make "noodles" out of my zucchini. Instead of precooking the zucchini strips, I heat the sauce in saute pan and add the noodles and cook very briefly. Sometimes, my sauce is nothing more than olive oil, butter, capers, fresh basil or a dab of pesto.

7. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote:That sounds delicious. I might have to ask for this for christmas! Of course then I'll have to wait until next year for more zucchini!

8. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    Heck no, ask for it now! As in Christmas in July!!!!

9. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    I love to make stuffed zucchini. Small ones make a great side dish, and the boats make a yummy main course. I like to stuff the small ones with breadcrumbs/fresh herbs/pancetta and parmesan- all moistened with a little olive oil. Bake till tender, then season with salt, pepper and more grated parm. I also like to stuff the big boys with sauteed cabbage slaw/browned ground pork/fresh cilantro basil and mint/fresh grated ginger/fish sauce mixed with brown sugar and lime juice. Bake till tender and serve with extra lime wedges.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by