zucchini

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by luvinmychickens, Jul 16, 2011.

1. luvinmychickens

luvinmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    My 4 1/2 month old chickens LOVE zucchini. They just pecked away at it. I didn't let them have too much, because they are still young. I couldn't believe that all 4 of them ate it. I was looking on the website and it said that they can eat it, but probably won't like it much. COMPLETE OPPOSITE for my girls. I'm glad I found a little treat for them.

Maybe they just liked them becuase we grew them in our garden [​IMG]

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mine love it, too! I'm still a month away from getting any from my garden....but they do love it. [​IMG] They don't eat the yellow squash, though. [​IMG] I think it's a color thing?

3. luvinmychickens

luvinmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    Quote:Maybe, lol

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I gave my girls some zuchinni and summer squash peelings yesterday and they LOVED it also. [​IMG]

5. CC1892

CC1892 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    East Coast
    I'll have to try zucchini (once I get some:()
    In the mean time my chicks love to eat cucumbers split in two.
    They devour the flesh and seeds right down to the skin, then I throw them in the compose pile.

6. itsmechrissy

itsmechrissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    SE Wisconsin
    This is great news... I hope my girls like it too!!! I always get sooooo much zucchini that the people I give it away to start getting sick of it! :) Have you tried watermelon? I give the girls the rind and they peck away at it, keep them in the fidge so they are nice and cold for the girls on hot days :)

7. Juliana of San Marcos CA

Juliana of San Marcos CA New Egg

Jul 16, 2011
    My girls love them too! My husband wasn't too happy when they went after our tomatoes! LOL:D

8. Lovable Chicks

Lovable Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    I gave zucchini to mine just the other day. They ALL loved it and there was no trace left behind. I been giving lots of different snacks lately and its funny to watch them 'proceed with caution' with anything new. Mine also LOVE watermelon.

9. verlaj

verlaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Micanopy, Florida
    Someone said that chickens don't like zucchini?? I gave my nearly 3-wk old chicks a slice of a big one - and they just about lost their little minds! I never saw such a frenzy!

10. RoosterRidge

RoosterRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Dry Fork, Va.
    I just want to thank you all for this... I am constantly trying to come up with new treat ideas for my babies... I too feed mine watermelon but I freeze it... They love it on these really hot days we are having... They won't touch catalopes though, might be the color that they don't trust... I am going now and give them some zucchini... Can't wait to see what they do...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by