Pipd's Peeps!

Last night, I went out to the outer coop to close up for the night, with the plan to peek under Morena and Inara while I was at it. Well, Morena was still on her nest, but Inara had moved over to the laying box on top of the eggs laid just that day, leaving her eggs cold in her box. Since the two of them have been trading boxes back and forth, that also happened to be the nest with that last suspected Judy booty egg in it:th

I candled, and of course all appeared to be clear--except the possible Judy egg had definite veining in it! I about died! I went ahead and moved it under Morena since she's been a bit more dedicated of a sitter anyway.

This morning, that egg still has good, strong veining in it, so hopefully it'll pull through despite being left out in the cold for some time yesterday. :fl It does look like only two of the eggs out of the 6 I set are developing, though, which is kind of unfortunate. Thinking I may need to cut those flocks back down to 4-5 hens each max next year and see if fertility is kept up better. 🤔

Anyway, I double checked the dates and Delphine's babies aren't due until Friday, so I guess I was getting ahead of myself on them! 😅 I've been debating about possibly setting eggs in the incubator today for one last batch out of Gus's girls for the year... My plans to hatch from Gwenyth this year are kind of falling through anyway because I had hoped I'd have more roosters sold by now and thus more space to work with in order to do that. :hmm (Nobody tell Fluffy :oops: )

Last night, I went out to the outer coop to close up for the night, with the plan to peek under Morena and Inara while I was at it. Well, Morena was still on her nest, but Inara had moved over to the laying box on top of the eggs laid just that day, leaving her eggs cold in her box. Since the two of them have been trading boxes back and forth, that also happened to be the nest with that last suspected Judy booty egg in it:th

I candled, and of course all appeared to be clear--except the possible Judy egg had definite veining in it! I about died! I went ahead and moved it under Morena since she's been a bit more dedicated of a sitter anyway.

This morning, that egg still has good, strong veining in it, so hopefully it'll pull through despite being left out in the cold for some time yesterday. :fl It does look like only two of the eggs out of the 6 I set are developing, though, which is kind of unfortunate. Thinking I may need to cut those flocks back down to 4-5 hens each max next year and see if fertility is kept up better. 🤔

Anyway, I double checked the dates and Delphine's babies aren't due until Friday, so I guess I was getting ahead of myself on them! 😅 I've been debating about possibly setting eggs in the incubator today for one last batch out of Gus's girls for the year... My plans to hatch from Gwenyth this year are kind of falling through anyway because I had hoped I'd have more roosters sold by now and thus more space to work with in order to do that. :hmm (Nobody tell Fluffy :oops: )
Goodness, I never knew when I first got chickens how much drama they'd be!

I'm glad the possible Judy Booty egg is still looking ok, I really hope it hatches a beautiful pullet for you :fl

I've given up selling anymore cockerels or pullets. Everyone I have is staying and I am just planning on 100% of the extra boys will be processed :th I've been trying to get some pre-sales for the meat, not $ down, just people saying, hey I want X number of birds... nothing. No-one is saying they want meat, no one is buying eggs (I have 1 person buying an 18 pack per week is all). I'm really doubting myself thinking I could justify my hobby by selling eggs and meat. I think everything is just flooded this year, so maybe next year things will be cut back enough to be more normal.

ok, enough lamenting... yes! You should hatch more eggs! Hehe.

Goodness, I never knew when I first got chickens how much drama they'd be!

I'm glad the possible Judy Booty egg is still looking ok, I really hope it hatches a beautiful pullet for you :fl

I've given up selling anymore cockerels or pullets. Everyone I have is staying and I am just planning on 100% of the extra boys will be processed :th I've been trying to get some pre-sales for the meat, not $ down, just people saying, hey I want X number of birds... nothing. No-one is saying they want meat, no one is buying eggs (I have 1 person buying an 18 pack per week is all). I'm really doubting myself thinking I could justify my hobby by selling eggs and meat. I think everything is just flooded this year, so maybe next year things will be cut back enough to be more normal.

ok, enough lamenting... yes! You should hatch more eggs! Hehe.
How long have you had chickens?

I did a thing. :oops:

So, while waiting for the oegb guy to get back to me from the Craigslist email, I found some silkie satin mix pullets. I reached out since it was local and the poster got back to me before the oegb guy did.

She had 2 posted a black one and a white one. Now, I have been interested in silkies, but not something I couldn't do without. I asked for pics and she clarified that she only had the white one left. Bummer because I really would like 2 for integration (I'm pretty sure this is chicken math). 🤣 So, going back and forth, she sends me the Pic and I am like ooh yeah, I'd like to have her. I asked if she had any others and she said only fully feathered chicks, but it didn't sound like the pullet hung out with them. So, getting a chick and a pullet really wouldn't do me any good.

From the Pic I knew I wanted her, but in the mean time the guy with the oegbs gets back to me and we make arrangements. I got those girls as you all know. At this point, I could back out of the silkie mix, but I didn't. 🤭

Here she is.
20240601_174305.jpg

She is 8-9 months. So, hopefully stays a she. 😉

I know that I am taking a big risk with having birds from 2 different farms. I have them separated and I am cleaning my hands between the two areas, but they are all being quarantined in my shed. So, it will be a big bummer if something happens. :fl

Back
Top Bottom