Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

if they stayed still long enough, dinner would come to them
like when they go fishing then...?

I love wildlife, but reading your bear posts made me appreciate anew the fact that I don't have to worry about large predators here. Your posts and your wonderful photos show that chickens are perfectly capable of free ranging even with such predators around, but it must make for some anxious moments every now and then!

Tax - I'm sure I'm very behind in that department: Fforest and Hafod held this pose for the best part of a minute. I have no idea what this meaningful stare was all about, but it was not preceded or succeeded by any notable action. Any guesses welcome!
P1120790.JPG

I am in South Carolina, we rarely get below freezing, and on the few occasions where we have, it has been late January/February.

We get nearly 10 to almost 12 hours of daylight in the winter, December being our lowest. As soon as the sun is up, I let them out of the coop, unless it is below freezing. On those days, I wait for it to start to warm up.

They spend the maximum daylight hours outside. They do not even let rain keep them from foraging, unless it is a really heavy downpour or thunderstorm.
These are better daylenghts for sure. And probably you have more sunny spells too to make a difference in relation to most of us.

Forgot to ask about the breed (some breeds are known to keep laying in winter as others don’t) and the age of the hens.

I had a young hen (Tournaisis) who skipped winter for 2 years but started to take a break at 3 yo. The other Tournaisis I had took a very short break. These 2 were the only ones I had who died young from health problems. One with in internal infection after a period of laying eggs without a shell. The other one died suddenly, presumably of a heart attack or a stroke.

I have no idea what this meaningful stare was all about, but it was not preceded or succeeded by any notable action. Any guesses welcome!
P1120790.JPG
To me it looks as if Hafod submits to Fforest. But Im no expert, so Shad/ all multiple rooster keepers please chime in , especially if I am wrong.

These are better daylenghts for sure. And probably you have more sunny spells too to make a difference in relation to most of us.

Forgot to ask about the breed (some breeds are known to keep laying in winter as others don’t) and the age of the hens.

I had a young hen (Tournaisis) who skipped winter for 2 years but started to take a break at 3 yo. The other Tournaisis I had took a very short break. These 2 were the only ones I had who died young from health problems. One with in internal infection after a period of laying eggs without a shell. The other one died suddenly, presumably of a heart attack or a stroke.
I have Buff Orpingtons.
1717332484457.png

The Buffs are pretty cold hardy, but also seem to do well in our miserable summers, with deep 90% shade cloth, fans and lots of water refreshes during the day.

The oldest 12 are 18 months and the youngest are going to be a year old in just a few weeks.

I have Buff Orpingtons.
View attachment 3851054
The Buffs are pretty cold hardy, but also seem to do well in our miserable summers, with deep 90% shade cloth, fans and lots of water refreshes during the day.

The oldest 12 are 18 months and the youngest are going to be a year old in just a few weeks.
Probably they will take a break next year. Or at least when they get older.

I have Buff Orpingtons.
View attachment 3851054

They are SO pretty, love the butterscotch coloring.

Back
Top Bottom