Related Forum Threads
- Custom Critter Carriers,Coops,Tractors,Hutches;etc Last post on 2/23/13 at 7:34pm in Where am I? Where are you!
Resin Chicken Coop
Edited on 5/14/13
- The Little Red BarnEdited on 4/29/13
- ChooksChick's Hints for HenthusiastsEdited on 3/30/13
- Covered Wagon and Chik'n Hut Mobile Chicken Coops
- topicSmall Coops
Alphabetical Article List
Bluebetween's Chicken Coop
The Blue Between Chicken House
After looking at all the chicken coop photos I could find, and trying to decide on what features I had to have, this is the chicken coop we came up with. We worked on this for about 8 weekends. Plus a few week nights. It took a long time. We made some mistakes and figured out how to fix them or work with them. But it was a lot of fun (mostly) and a great family project. I'm really happy with how it turned out. Still to do (maybe): add a chicken cam, an automatic door opener, an auto watering system, and landscaping. Oh, and an outdoor pen or tractor so the girls can get some fresh grass and bugs.
1.) Secure. I wanted the hardwire sandwiched between the frame boards and hardwire beneath run.
2.) Storage. Enough said.
3.) Easy to clean, easy access. I wanted to be able to stand up in the run, and slide out the floor and litter board in the coop, and I wanted external acces to the eggs.
4.) An overhang to keep me dry while working in there during our long Seattle area rainy season - which lasts pretty much all year.
5.) Cute. I was thinking of it as a garden feature as well as a functional home for my girls.
Here's the finished coop:
Our fancy zig-zag ramps, before they got covered in poop:
And after, with a flip-up roost added:
Upgrades!! Water tower - love this!
And inside too!
All the "in progress" shots can be seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bluebetween/sets/72157626712382468/
Blog updates can be found here: http://bluebetween.blogspot.com/search/label/backyard%20chickens
Thanks for looking!
Pam, Frank, Luke and The Girls, Pippi, Lulu, Bella & Daphne
The Baby Pictures:
Dapne, the Welsummer, Pippi, the Buff Orpington, Lulu, the Cuckoo Maran, and Bella, the Silver Laced Wynadote.
And all grown up:
- The Little Red Barn
- › The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome! 4 seconds ago
- › Mt Hope, Ohio Swap This Weekend 5 seconds ago
- › Incubator ventilation, help appreciated! 7 seconds ago
- › Da' Cute and Cuddly Call Duck thread! 25 seconds ago
- › I think I have these figured out.. but would love your best guess! 34 seconds ago
- › May WYGS Mystery Swap~ Closed 38 seconds ago
- › ALABAMA!! 1 minute ago
- › composting with chickens 1 minute ago
- › Lost my BLRW cock, so now what to I breed my blr (splash) hens to?? 1 minute ago
- › Guinea Not walking - possibly hurt? 2 minutes ago
- › Brabanter by mtmimi777
- › Orpington (Buff)-319 by marvun22
- › Indian Runner by marvun22
- › Rouen by marvun22
- › Khaki Campbell by marvun22
- › Pekin by marvun22
- › Bantam-Cochin by ChickenRaiser95
- › Cream Legbar originally bred by R. C. Punnett by KPenley
- › Silkie by Chickie Mama
- › Brahma by Chickie Mama
- › Fowl Territory by softblooper
- › Cozy Coop in Cape by ShamSham
- › Poor Man's Chicken Coop for zero dollars by IceAngel
- › Fresh Eggs from Spoiled Chickens by lilnursetara
- › New to web site. Need advise on how to help... by Marie Joye
- › My foray into chicken ownership by Katcynth
- › My six chicks!!!!! So cute by My Six Chicks
- › Hatching<3 by Nike
- › Blue and Whie Delight by 12chickenlover3
- › Coop La Fiesta by jpruett86