Related Forum Threads
- Custom Critter Carriers,Coops,Tractors,Hutches;etc Last post on 2/23/13 at 7:34pm in Where am I? Where are you!
- Two Story Coop Design for 60 chickens!! Last post on 2/13/12 at 10:01pm in Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance
ChooksChick's Hints for Henthusiasts
Edited on 3/30/13
- 'Bird and the Fluffy Butts Hut.Edited on 5/11/13
- Valhalla - ExpansionEdited on 10/18/12
- The Schoop
- topicLarge Coops
Alphabetical Article List
Buff Hooligans's Chicken Coop
COOP and RUN for
FOUR BUFF ORPINGTON HENS
Our coop used to be housing for a large outdoor generator on an island, then was moved to the mainland and abandoned. My DH renovated it to the hilt, thinking that we could always use it as a garden shed if I changed my mind about chickens.
It was in pretty bad shape, so we tore off almost everything and re-built it.
My dear husband replaced all the rotted wood and roofing. The windows are covered on the inside with hardware cloth and sliding plexiglass panes.
Thee floor is covered in pine shavings, which I fluff up with a shovel a few times a week.
The poo dries out pretty quickly because of the good ventilation, and therefore doesn't smell as bad as wet poo would.
The "gangplank" ramp is hinged so it can function as a closed door at night.
Floor of coop to roof peak (outside measurement) = 6 feet
The red painted base is 1 foot high, so the total coop height is 7 feet.
Width of coop (front door side) = 4 feet 2 inches
Length = 5 1/2 feet
From ground to top = 4 1/2 feet
The wood forming the base is 4" x 4" wood, partially buried.
Length = 12 feet
Width = 5 1/2 feet
The run is made out of hardware cloth, both sides and top, and buried 12" down into the ground for predator protection. The run is pure sand, which is easy to rake up. As you can see, we spend a lot of time on summer evenings just sitting and watching the girls.
Adolescent chicks trying to figure out the gangplank for the first time ...
Here's same view after a January Nor'easter:
Newly painted gray to match our house:
- 'Bird and the Fluffy Butts Hut.
- › Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE! 2 seconds ago
- › Walk in the Wild~~Wolf RPG *NEEDS MEMBERS* 7 seconds ago
- › ~*~Survive The City: A stray Dog RP RESTARTED~*~ 19 seconds ago
- › Happy Horse Stables RPG 37 seconds ago
- › Texas 44 seconds ago
- › Swedish Flower Hen Thread 49 seconds ago
- › The Last Wolves RP 1 minute ago
- › Easter Egger club! 1 minute ago
- › ~The Battle of the Empires~ New RP NEED PLAYERS 1 minute ago
- › ☺☻☺☻NEW SYFY RPG☺☻☺ 1 minute ago
- › Rhode Island by Chicken Goddess
- › Frizzle by TheCrazyClucker
- › Barnevelder by pysankigirl
- › Nankin Bantams by Cambium29
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by awaxt2003
- › Leghorn by Chicken Goddess
- › Australorp by chickenman98
- › Aylesbury by cowgirlHH
- › 3 Quart Plastic Feed Scoop - Blue by cowgirlHH
- › Silkie by chickenlover89
- › Bill`s Chicken Farm by BillysFlock
- › My Funny Farm! by anastasiamarie
- › My Golden Palace by MEMama3
- › My take on the "On Golden Coop"... by rockhopjohn
- › New San Ramon California Ordinance Effective... by Tangramon
- › BillysFlock by BillysFlock
- › Chicken Mansion Supreme by sandrachicken
- › The Weenie flock by wein315
- › Feed-sack Fencing by SuperSilkies
- › I think I am reliving my childhod. My Mother... by skoodo