Related Forum Threads
- Custom Critter Carriers,Coops,Tractors,Hutches;etc Last post on 2/23/13 at 7:34pm in Where am I? Where are you!
- Two Story Coop Design for 60 chickens!! Last post on 2/13/12 at 10:01pm in Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance
ChooksChick's Hints for Henthusiasts
Edited on 3/30/13
- 'Bird and the Fluffy Butts Hut.Edited on 5/11/13
- Valhalla - ExpansionEdited on 10/18/12
- The Schoop
- topicLarge Coops
Alphabetical Article List
Buff Hooligans's Chicken Coop
COOP and RUN for
FOUR BUFF ORPINGTON HENS
Our coop used to be housing for a large outdoor generator on an island, then was moved to the mainland and abandoned. My DH renovated it to the hilt, thinking that we could always use it as a garden shed if I changed my mind about chickens.
It was in pretty bad shape, so we tore off almost everything and re-built it.
My dear husband replaced all the rotted wood and roofing. The windows are covered on the inside with hardware cloth and sliding plexiglass panes.
Thee floor is covered in pine shavings, which I fluff up with a shovel a few times a week.
The poo dries out pretty quickly because of the good ventilation, and therefore doesn't smell as bad as wet poo would.
The "gangplank" ramp is hinged so it can function as a closed door at night.
Floor of coop to roof peak (outside measurement) = 6 feet
The red painted base is 1 foot high, so the total coop height is 7 feet.
Width of coop (front door side) = 4 feet 2 inches
Length = 5 1/2 feet
From ground to top = 4 1/2 feet
The wood forming the base is 4" x 4" wood, partially buried.
Length = 12 feet
Width = 5 1/2 feet
The run is made out of hardware cloth, both sides and top, and buried 12" down into the ground for predator protection. The run is pure sand, which is easy to rake up. As you can see, we spend a lot of time on summer evenings just sitting and watching the girls.
Adolescent chicks trying to figure out the gangplank for the first time ...
Here's same view after a January Nor'easter:
Newly painted gray to match our house:
- 'Bird and the Fluffy Butts Hut.
- › Ok is this usual ??? 17 seconds ago
- › Chicken "mutt" club!!! 27 seconds ago
- › INDIANA BYC'ers HERE! 1 minute ago
- › Wisconsin "Cheeseheads" 2 minutes ago
- › Lost 4 young'uns and am sad and mad at myself 2 minutes ago
- › dying chicken 3 minutes ago
- › 3 month old F2 olive egger 3 minutes ago
- › The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread 4 minutes ago
- › How Long After Ivermectin Can You Eat Eggs Again?? 4 minutes ago
- › Silkie thread! 4 minutes ago
- › Little Giant - 3 Gallon Plastic Poultry Waterer - PPF3 by 29PalmsRanch
- › Pullet-Shut Automatic Chicken Door Chickendoors.com by celticgarden
- › Mallard by Zombified
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by LeslieDJoyce
- › Automatic King Size Poultry Fount - 2550 by LeslieDJoyce
- › Chantecler by BravewingTheHen
- › Cochin by BravewingTheHen
- › Ameraucana by starbugs
- › Cornish Cross by cynthiagee
- › La Fleche by theeggbasket
- › Chicken's Communication by roostersandhens
- › Yearg's Chicks - The Coop by YeargsChicks
- › "Mattersville" Coop/Pergola by match-nickel
- › Maggie's "Fab 6" Brooder by chixrus2013
- › Our humble coop - for 4 chickens. by Aussie-Chook
- › The Hot Headed Hen House by EagleChickens
- › This is my new coop. by hairco
- › Poultry Playpen by ftroop
- › Troost Roost by stuckinvtown
- › Fowl Territory by softblooper