Related Forum Threads
- Custom Critter Carriers,Coops,Tractors,Hutches;etc Last post on 2/23/13 at 7:34pm in Where am I? Where are you!
- Two Story Coop Design for 60 chickens!! Last post on 2/13/12 at 10:01pm in Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance
ChooksChick's Hints for Henthusiasts
Edited on 3/30/13
- 'Bird and the Fluffy Butts Hut.Edited on 5/11/13
- Valhalla - ExpansionEdited on 10/18/12
- The Schoop
- topicLarge Coops
Alphabetical Article List
Building the Layers Coop
Building the Layers Coop:
I didn't get photos of the framing, but here we go from there:
Size is 12' x 16'. Door is 4' x 8'. Windows recycled (3).
I painted inside and out with Valspar brand (oil glossy) porch paint.
... Here are more recent pictures. Still lots to do. The roof
is going to be bent down on front, and then a large wide cap over it.
Need hardware cloth on the top side ends, the chicken wire will not be
enough, then some type of covering for rain. See the make shift (temporary)
yard for play. I love the dutch door. Gotta get the run in!
I covered the windows with hardware cloth.
Here is the inside. No nests or droppings board done yet. I used hardboard
on the walls. I don't know if this is a good idea yet. A small 4' x 4' storage area.
Here are my "rustic" nests, made from lumber leftovers. They should look better painted!
I made this droppings board out of OSB covered with leftover linoleum remnant I had. I hope it is wide enough (33" for 2 side by side roosts that are 16" apart).
... I am now finished (except for a couple pop doors). The run
is done, too (except for the covering). Plan to cover with aviary netting??
The run is approx. 40 ft x 40 ft, done with 48" hardware cloth on the bottom, with 1/2 underground, and 2x4 welded wire 6 ft fencing. Then, I added large (2") gravel around the edges. I don't think ANYTHING can dig through all that!
The ventilation (triangular end area) has been covered in 1/4 inch hardware cloth. Updates.... Hinged ventilation covers & pop door done. I do have a tarp up there as well, and will use it for rain I think. Still need to paint more.
I painted the nests ..... look at all that dust! ...whew ...
Droppings board covered in vinyl is so nice. Moveable roosts.
Got some painting done ....
- 'Bird and the Fluffy Butts Hut.
- › Any ideas on what this little bantam is? 7 seconds ago
- › May Hatch Thread--Fill up those bators n' broodies! 15 seconds ago
- › Michigan Thread - all are welcome! 59 seconds ago
- › The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome! 1 minute ago
- › South Carolina 2 minutes ago
- › The RE-Build of Les Farms 3 minutes ago
- › Is this a roo? 3 minutes ago
- › New to Chickens - Just Rescued a Game Rooster (and have questions) 3 minutes ago
- › Different maturation rates? 3 minutes ago
- › YO GEORGIANS! :) 3 minutes ago
- › Barnevelder by pysankigirl
- › Nankin Bantams by Cambium29
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by awaxt2003
- › Leghorn by Chicken Goddess
- › Australorp by chickenman98
- › Aylesbury by cowgirlHH
- › 3 Quart Plastic Feed Scoop - Blue by cowgirlHH
- › Silkie by chickenlover89
- › Speckled Sussex by nova022
- › Little Giant - 3 Gallon Plastic Poultry Waterer - PPF3 by 29PalmsRanch
- › My take on the "On Golden Coop"... by rockhopjohn
- › New San Ramon California Ordinance Effective... by Tangramon
- › BillysFlock by BillysFlock
- › Chicken Mansion Supreme by sandrachicken
- › The Weenie flock by wein315
- › Feed-sack Fencing by SuperSilkies
- › I think I am reliving my childhod. My Mother... by skoodo
- › How To Tell Your Chicken's Gender by roostersandhens
- › Processing Day Support Group SUMMARY of THREAD by Sally Sunshine
- › The Lovely Holland Coop by the3littles