Related Forum Threads
- My New Chick Nursery – Collapsible Brooder for Easy Storage Last post on 3/7/12 at 7:53pm in Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance
- Now All We Need is the Quackerettes Last post on 3/4/12 at 7:29am in Ducks
ChooksChick's Hints for Henthusiasts
Edited on 3/30/13
- Brooder from a small animal cageEdited on 2/19/12
- Chick Inn BrooderEdited on 4/1/11
- Encorepistol's Chicken Brooder
Alphabetical Article List
Chick NurseryThe Chick nursery
The nursery was new in 2007 and was built to raise chicks and also to house a broody hen when hatching. It has served us well brooding many many chicks. It measueres 3ft deep X 5 ft long and 2 ft high and is mounted on the wall in our barn at the right hight for easy cleaning and feeding.
- Scrap Lumber 2X4's, 2X2's, Plywood
- Scrap piece of 2X4 welded wire
- 2 Ft Chicken Wire (This was left overs from a former garden fence, before I realized chickens will jump over 2 ft fence)
- Haredwire Cloth
- Vinyl Floor Scrap piece
- Cardboard box
- Made the Bottom 3 Ft. X5 ft. out of the Scrap 2X4's. Added a piece of 2X4 in the center for stability. Covered it with Hardwire cloth
- Made the top same as Bottom excpet covered with some 2X4 welded fencing
- Screwed 2 ft. pieces of 2X4 at each corner and center to form box. Covered the outside with 2Ft Chicken wire.
- Covered the back with scrap piece of plywood to help contain wood shavings.
- Use piece of vinyl flooring on floor which is easily removed and cleaned.
- Door was made out of 2X2 and again covered in chicken wire.
- Mounted on the wall at waist heightf or easy cleaning
- Cut pieces of cardboard to go around sides and door to contain wood shavings. Easily replaced when needed.
- ADDED AFTER PICTURES WERE TAKEN - Added a roost (old 2X2) in the center between both the front and back support.
Helpful Hints to you - If you are thinking about building a chicken house, read through BYC I got a lot of ideas and gotchas to avoid by reading BYC. Don't be ashamed to go Dumpster diving. You can get a lot for free.
- Brooder from a small animal cage
- › Wisconsin "Cheeseheads" 52 seconds ago
- › Hatching Eggs / Paypal CHAT Thread 3 minutes ago
- › water bird bath? 4 minutes ago
- › North Carolina 4 minutes ago
- › peahen with droopy wings and lethargic 5 minutes ago
- › Alternative to Scratch feed??? 6 minutes ago
- › what sex are these 7 minutes ago
- › please help :-( 9 minutes ago
- › What did your chickens do today? 11 minutes ago
- › ~The Battle of the Empires~ New RP NEED PLAYERS 13 minutes ago
- › Leghorn by Chicken Goddess
- › Australorp by chickenman98
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by RentaPig311
- › Aylesbury by cowgirlHH
- › 3 Quart Plastic Feed Scoop - Blue by cowgirlHH
- › Silkie by chickenlover89
- › Speckled Sussex by nova022
- › Little Giant - 3 Gallon Plastic Poultry Waterer - PPF3 by 29PalmsRanch
- › Pullet-Shut Automatic Chicken Door Chickendoors.com by celticgarden
- › Mallard by Zombified
- › I think I am reliving my childhod. My Mother... by skoodo
- › How To Tell Your Chicken's Gender by roostersandhens
- › Processing Day Support Group SUMMARY of THREAD by Sally Sunshine
- › The Lovely Holland Coop by the3littles
- › Cottage Coop De Ville by themorra
- › How to introduce your dog to your chickens... by Kathryn P
- › How to decide if a rooster is right for you! by Kathryn P
- › From citygirl to backyard chicken farmer by Kathie816
- › Teen Babies! A TragicStory (chicken edition) by McCaskill
- › Keeping a rooster or not - pro's and cons by Mr MKK FARMS