The nursery was new in 2007 and was built to raise chicks and also to house a broody hen when hatching. It has served us well brooding many many chicks. It measueres 3ft deep X 5 ft long and 2 ft high and is mounted on the wall in our barn at the right hight for easy cleaning and feeding.
- Scrap Lumber 2X4's, 2X2's, Plywood
- Scrap piece of 2X4 welded wire
- 2 Ft Chicken Wire (This was left overs from a former garden fence, before I realized chickens will jump over 2 ft fence)
- Haredwire Cloth
- Vinyl Floor Scrap piece
- Cardboard box
- Made the Bottom 3 Ft. X5 ft. out of the Scrap 2X4's. Added a piece of 2X4 in the center for stability. Covered it with Hardwire cloth
- Made the top same as Bottom excpet covered with some 2X4 welded fencing
- Screwed 2 ft. pieces of 2X4 at each corner and center to form box. Covered the outside with 2Ft Chicken wire.
- Covered the back with scrap piece of plywood to help contain wood shavings.
- Use piece of vinyl flooring on floor which is easily removed and cleaned.
- Door was made out of 2X2 and again covered in chicken wire.
- Mounted on the wall at waist heightf or easy cleaning
- Cut pieces of cardboard to go around sides and door to contain wood shavings. Easily replaced when needed.
- ADDED AFTER PICTURES WERE TAKEN - Added a roost (old 2X2) in the center between both the front and back support.
Helpful Hints to you - If you are thinking about building a chicken house, read through BYC I got a lot of ideas and gotchas to avoid by reading BYC. Don't be ashamed to go Dumpster diving. You can get a lot for free.