Related Forum Threads
- My New Chick Nursery – Collapsible Brooder for Easy Storage Last post on 3/7/12 at 7:53pm in Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance
- Now All We Need is the Quackerettes Last post on 3/4/12 at 7:29am in Ducks
ChooksChick's Hints for Henthusiasts
Edited on 3/30/13
- Brooder from a small animal cageEdited on 2/19/12
- Chick Inn BrooderEdited on 4/1/11
- Encorepistol's Chicken Brooder
Alphabetical Article List
Chick NurseryThe Chick nursery
The nursery was new in 2007 and was built to raise chicks and also to house a broody hen when hatching. It has served us well brooding many many chicks. It measueres 3ft deep X 5 ft long and 2 ft high and is mounted on the wall in our barn at the right hight for easy cleaning and feeding.
- Scrap Lumber 2X4's, 2X2's, Plywood
- Scrap piece of 2X4 welded wire
- 2 Ft Chicken Wire (This was left overs from a former garden fence, before I realized chickens will jump over 2 ft fence)
- Haredwire Cloth
- Vinyl Floor Scrap piece
- Cardboard box
- Made the Bottom 3 Ft. X5 ft. out of the Scrap 2X4's. Added a piece of 2X4 in the center for stability. Covered it with Hardwire cloth
- Made the top same as Bottom excpet covered with some 2X4 welded fencing
- Screwed 2 ft. pieces of 2X4 at each corner and center to form box. Covered the outside with 2Ft Chicken wire.
- Covered the back with scrap piece of plywood to help contain wood shavings.
- Use piece of vinyl flooring on floor which is easily removed and cleaned.
- Door was made out of 2X2 and again covered in chicken wire.
- Mounted on the wall at waist heightf or easy cleaning
- Cut pieces of cardboard to go around sides and door to contain wood shavings. Easily replaced when needed.
- ADDED AFTER PICTURES WERE TAKEN - Added a roost (old 2X2) in the center between both the front and back support.
Helpful Hints to you - If you are thinking about building a chicken house, read through BYC I got a lot of ideas and gotchas to avoid by reading BYC. Don't be ashamed to go Dumpster diving. You can get a lot for free.
- Brooder from a small animal cage
- › Hello, my name is Sara and I'm a chickenaholic 18 seconds ago
- › ~The Battle of the Empires~ New RP NEED PLAYERS 24 seconds ago
- › Keep a word, drop a word! 43 seconds ago
- › Atomic Powers (OOC) 57 seconds ago
- › Will my chicks always run away from me? 1 minute ago
- › The Last Wolves RP 1 minute ago
- › One of my welsummers is lighter than the others 1 minute ago
- › The basics of color...... 1 minute ago
- › Duck singing to the radio 1 minute ago
- › A few general questions about rasing chicks 1 minute ago
- › Aylesbury by cowgirlHH
- › 3 Quart Plastic Feed Scoop - Blue by cowgirlHH
- › Silkie by chickenlover89
- › Speckled Sussex by nova022
- › Leghorn by DavidKerk
- › Little Giant - 3 Gallon Plastic Poultry Waterer - PPF3 by 29PalmsRanch
- › Pullet-Shut Automatic Chicken Door Chickendoors.com by celticgarden
- › Mallard by Zombified
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by LeslieDJoyce
- › Automatic King Size Poultry Fount - 2550 by LeslieDJoyce
- › How to introduce your dog to your chickens... by Kathryn P
- › How to decide if a rooster is right for you! by Kathryn P
- › From citygirl to backyard chicken farmer by Kathie816
- › Teen Babies! A TragicStory (chicken edition) by McCaskill
- › Keeping a rooster or not - pro's and cons by Mr MKK FARMS
- › Rich & Sarah's "Cozy Cochin... by Scifisarah
- › And it's DONE! by PatQ
- › Chicken's Communication by roostersandhens
- › Yearg's Chicks - The Coop by YeargsChicks
- › "Mattersville" Coop/Pergola by match-nickel