Related Forum Threads
- Custom Critter Carriers,Coops,Tractors,Hutches;etc Last post on 2/23/13 at 7:34pm in Where am I? Where are you!
Resin Chicken Coop
Edited on 5/14/13
- The Little Red BarnEdited on 4/29/13
- ChooksChick's Hints for HenthusiastsEdited on 3/30/13
- Covered Wagon and Chik'n Hut Mobile Chicken Coops
- topicSmall Coops
Alphabetical Article List
Coop 5'x4' Run 5'x10' Cost $1,200.00 3 weeks to build
I had a basic idea of what I wanted. I warned my husband that I was designing on the go, and to expect changes mid stream.
We started by digging a 12" deep foot print of the coop and run. We laid hard cloth using cable-ties to connect the seams, insuring no preditors will be able to get into the coop from below. We set the footings for the raised coop and cemented them in. Followed by the platform/base for the coop.
I needed to decide on windows and locate a source before they could frame. I ordered shed windows on line from shedwindowsandmore.com The company is great the windows arrived really fast!
Sheathing for roof, base for chicken run
Framed the run, sheathing on walls, felt paper on roof
Here is where I had a big ah ha moment! I read that chickens like alot of light to optimize egg production. I searched BYC for inspiration and came up with a new roof line. Of course my husband and our handy man friend, were not surprised at my mid construction design change, as I had alerted them of the possibility before we started. I showed them pictures of my idea from a coop on BYC and said can we make it happen? Of course they said. They cut off a portion of the sheathing on the peak to accomodate the new roof line. We kept the roof beams in place to make it easier and for the integrity of the roof. Could have cut them and framed the peak differently but would have been more involved and didn't seem necessary for unused space in the coop. Took this time to prime the beams and run while we had access.
Big changes today, cut out the openings for doors and windows, built top cupola, shingled the roof. This is the first time I have been able to really see where we are going with this coop.
We covered the walls of the coop with shower wall covering. It comes in 4x8 sheets and is waterproof for easy cleaning, installing it with liquid nails.
framed the nesting boxes
Had extra felt paper, so we used it to cover the sides of the coop. Shingled the roof and installed the transome windows from shedwindowsandmore.
New view of roof line from inside
Finishing touches, put hardwire cloth on run, finished painting, made ramp, installed back doors, including a screen door for ventallation. I put UV film on the windows to try and keep out alittle of the hot Florida sun!
drink cups box on side of coop houses 5 gallon bucket for automatic poultry drink cups, ordered from Randalls Poultry Supply. Love them, I put pieces of grass in the cups to get my 2 month old pullets to notice the cups. It worked! They were using them within minutes. We installed the cup at a height of 12" correct for adult hens. Pullets couldn't reach them so I placed bricks below the cups for them to stand on.
Things I would do differently: Biggest change... I would make the run tall enough to walk in. It is really hard on the back to stoop over every time we want to enter the coop. My husband would have made the coop square (5x5) instead of (4x5) it would have made the roof framing much easier!
Future additions: I ordered awning fabric and sailboat snap fasteners from a company called Sailrite. I am going to make an awning cover for the run. The snap fasteners screw into the wood of the run, and I will be able to remove the awning if desired. Feel the girls need more protection from the Florida sun. Also we are going to install fans, one in the coop and one under the run. I have a battery operated fan from Home Depot we are using now. The girls hang out under the coop all day, the awning will give them the whole run access during the day.
- The Little Red Barn
- › California - Northern 22 seconds ago
- › Happy Horse Stables RPG 24 seconds ago
- › ~The Battle of the Empires~ New RP NEED PLAYERS 27 seconds ago
- › ~*~Survive The City: A stray Dog RP RESTARTED~*~ 33 seconds ago
- › Is this worms? 54 seconds ago
- › Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man 59 seconds ago
- › Yum or Yuck? 1 minute ago
- › Trying to guess genders... 1 minute ago
- › lighting in coop 1 minute ago
- › FOURTH ANNUAL BIGZIOS WI CHEESEHEAD CHICKENSTOCK THREAD! 1 minute ago
- › Bantam-Cochin by ChickenRaiser95
- › Cream Legbar originally bred by R. C. Punnett by KPenley
- › Silkie by Chickie Mama
- › Brahma by Chickie Mama
- › Leghorn by Lisasfeathers
- › Andalusian by nova022
- › Mini Cup Automatic Waterers by KPenley
- › Barred Rock by applefalls
- › Australorp by applefalls
- › Star by applefalls
- › Fresh Eggs from Spoiled Chickens by lilnursetara
- › New to web site. Need advise on how to help... by Marie Joye
- › My foray into chicken ownership by Katcynth
- › My six chicks!!!!! So cute by My Six Chicks
- › Hatching<3 by Nike
- › Blue and Whie Delight by 12chickenlover3
- › Coop La Fiesta by jpruett86
- › The Truth About Insuring Hatching Eggs by Poultry Friend
- › Gabe's "budget coop" by GabeStalker
- › Burnsville Minnesota by sn0wwhite