Related Forum Threads
- Custom Critter Carriers,Coops,Tractors,Hutches;etc Last post on 2/23/13 at 7:34pm in Where am I? Where are you!
- Two Story Coop Design for 60 chickens!! Last post on 2/13/12 at 10:01pm in Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance
ChooksChick's Hints for Henthusiasts
Edited on 3/30/13
- 'Bird and the Fluffy Butts Hut.Edited on 5/11/13
- Valhalla - ExpansionEdited on 10/18/12
- The Schoop
- topicLarge Coops
Alphabetical Article List
Da Chicken Bus
Da Chicken Bus
Back in the early spring my dog and I found and old school bus out in my friend's woods. I got it for free and had it towed to my place where I sized it up for a serious re-fit to be used as a coop. Below are some pics and short description of the process of turning a short bus into a dee-lux chicken coop. The wife thought I was nuts, but that's already been confirmed. Soooo, with all my tools and limited carpentry skills me and my Bassetthound mix, Odie, jumped in head first with the goal of havin' us a chicken bus by gawd!!
This is how we found it. All alone and un-loved in a barren field. The hood, motor, and tranny had already been removed. Odie and I knew we had us a new chicken coop!
The inside was, well, a freaking mess. Odie jumped in, looked around, urinated on the drivers seat, and walked out muttering something about my being crazy.
We had my buddy tow the thing to my place where I removed the wheels and set it on blocks. Odie posed for this pic. The wife took one look at it and told me there would not be a damned bus setting in her back yard! The answer? Hide it in plain sight!
Sooooo, I took some old fence boards I had piled up,.....
......and we made the bus disapear!! A little crack filling, and a little paint, and the wifey was quite pleased. Now for the interior of our little chicken den.
We gutted the inside and pressure washed the whole thing. Now for the fun part!!
A little fast forwarding and viola!! We have us a hen house! Notice all the light and space! There's 11 nest boxes and enough roost space for lotsa birds. All opening windows are wired over and I added a wind turbine ventalator on the roof to keep the girls cool. Odie looks on in approval. He and the chickens are great friends.
I used dog kennel panels I picked up used for cheap for the run and topped it off with a hawk net. I put a roof over the front for sun/weather protection, and a smaller roof over the backside windows to keep rain out. Add a nice coat of burgundy paint (wifey says it's purple, but I AM color blind).
The girls have a nice dirt box for dust bathing and a few places to hide and climb around. The roosters like to play King-of-the-Hill on the tree branch. That was Odie's idea.
Well, that's about it folks. I have a total of about $200 invested in the entire project and around 25 hours of time. I figure 80% of the materials were re-cycled form stuff I had laying around and the bus was free. The chickens seem to like the set-up and they are about as predator safe as you can get them. Odie made a good supervisor, and was always there for moral/technical support and help me eat my sandwich at lunch break. I have to say it was a blast to do and very satisfying to know I did it myself and I think it turned out pretty well.
- 'Bird and the Fluffy Butts Hut.
- › Silky - sick 17 seconds ago
- › ~The Battle of the Empires~ New RP NEED PLAYERS 41 seconds ago
- › Walk in the Wild~~Wolf RPG *NEEDS MEMBERS* 42 seconds ago
- › What the Heck! 3 minutes ago
- › Sumatra Thread! 5 minutes ago
- › Help! Skin around comb, eyes, and ears is red 6 minutes ago
- › Diary & Notes ~ Air Cell Detatched SHIPPED Eggs 7 minutes ago
- › First Day with Chicks 8 minutes ago
- › Fuzzy's Farm 8 minutes ago
- › Colombian White Rock? 9 minutes ago
- › Mallard by Zombified
- › Little Giant - 3 Gallon Plastic Poultry Waterer - PPF3 by LeslieDJoyce
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by LeslieDJoyce
- › Automatic King Size Poultry Fount - 2550 by LeslieDJoyce
- › Chantecler by BravewingTheHen
- › Cochin by BravewingTheHen
- › Ameraucana by starbugs
- › Cornish Cross by cynthiagee
- › La Fleche by theeggbasket
- › Barred Rock by techpeak
- › Chicken's Communication by roostersandhens
- › Yearg's Chicks - The Coop by YeargsChicks
- › "Mattersville" Coop/Pergola by match-nickel
- › Maggie's "Fab 6" Brooder by chixrus2013
- › Our humble coop - for 4 chickens. by Aussie-Chook
- › The Hot Headed Hen House by EagleChickens
- › This is my new coop. by hairco
- › Poultry Playpen by ftroop
- › Troost Roost by stuckinvtown
- › Fowl Territory by softblooper