Related Forum Threads
- Custom Critter Carriers,Coops,Tractors,Hutches;etc Last post on 2/23/13 at 7:34pm in Where am I? Where are you!
Resin Chicken Coop
Edited on 5/14/13
- The Little Red BarnEdited on 4/29/13
- ChooksChick's Hints for HenthusiastsEdited on 3/30/13
- Covered Wagon and Chik'n Hut Mobile Chicken Coops
- topicSmall Coops
Alphabetical Article List
Fivecents's Chicken Coop
...the garden-roof coop
In July I finally convinced Jeff that chickens are a good idea and he agreed to build the coop!
Here's the link for the plans/blueprints of the coop.. Coop Plans
Read the story of The Coop's Beginning at Community Chickens...
Phase one: Basic frame..
Phase 2: The coop is now set up, roof added--placed by the dog pen that will allow the chicks to "free range" and avoid the ever present herding border collies...
Phase 3: Sides, windows, nesting boxes complete.
Phase 4: Painted red and a living roof. The roof was made with a soil/compost mixture--lots of sphagnum moss and secured with chicken wire. Winter hardy sedums and succulents were planted. It should look great next spring--no need for watering other than rain, the plants are very drought tolerate--now to get the chicks!
August 4th--the chicks are born..
Introducing: Henrietta, Cadbury, Feathers and Edison--the Buff Orpington Chickens Sisters.
Two weeks old! Didn't know how much fun we would have with our new "pets!"
They are showing the beginnings of their real feathers.
Four weeks old--They are finally out of the house and into their coop/run!
And of course, they have a custom made chicken feeder constructed by Jeff. When they weigh more, the feeder will automatically open when they step on the ramp :)
(Update: At 10 weeks old they reached the weight--and intelligence--to operate the feeder!)
Here's a video showing them in action...
Check out my post on my chicken blog about the construction of the Automatic Feeder--Automatic Chicken Feeder
Here's the link to the rough plans/blueprints--Automatic Chicken Feeder Plans/Blueprints
For a very detailed instruction/construction guide to make a feeder similar to ours--Building a Treadle Feeder
We predator-proofed the dog pen by putting 3 foot high--1/2 inch hardware cloth around and on top of the pen. We then put a "skirt" of chicken wire around (and attached) to the outside of the pen. I pity the animal that tries to go through, under or over the run. These chickens will hopefully die of old age!
The chicks are now 8 weeks old! The Border Collies have now accepted them as part of the family.
I wouldn't leave them alone though--I don't know who would torment the other the most!
14 weeks old--Tricks and Treats...Watch this video of our chickens doing tricks for treats!
December--Yes, we put lights on the coop...
First Egg! On a cold, 4 degree morning, one of my 5-month old girls surprised me with our first beautiful, cracked, frozen egg!
- The Little Red Barn
- › Barred Rock Hen or Roo? 41 seconds ago
- › Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man 59 seconds ago
- › ~The Battle of the Empires~ New RP NEED PLAYERS 2 minutes ago
- › Guess The Breed!!! Dog Edition!!!! 3 minutes ago
- › Stray/Wild/Feral cat RP 3 minutes ago
- › American serama thread! 3 minutes ago
- › Eggs of my pullets just went to lockdown today...... 3 minutes ago
- › NAMPA, ID 5 minutes ago
- › 1 1/2 month old chicks genders? 5 minutes ago
- › Dog injured baby chick. Help? 5 minutes ago
- › Belgian d'Uccle by dbhdoc
- › Orpington by plund
- › Red Sex Link by Hogs and Horns
- › Japanese by MoodyBroody622
- › Sicilian Buttercup by Glimmer Otnes
- › White Leghorn Pullets by HershelMS
- › Wyandotte by The Bantam Guy
- › Ameraucana by 1stTimeChikMama
- › Icelandic or Viking Hen by my urban barnyard
- › Plymouth Rock by australorp41
- › Wolves Of The Blue Moon RP --- Blue Moon Pack... by IceFire
- › How to Prepare a Chicken for Showing by Whittni
- › kiomey's swapstuffs by Kiomey
- › Our Mobile Coop Project (lots of pics) by slroxie
- › Wolves Of The Blue Moon RP --- Members Page!!! by IceFire
- › The All New: How to Train Your Chicken! by darwinchooks
- › Coop de' Cluck by Sherryalaska
- › BackYard Chickens Starter Kit Price Guide by support
- › Wild Thyme Farm's Flock by applegal
- › Cedar Acres Coop! by CedarAcres