ChooksChick's Incubation Cheat Sheet
Edited on 4/3/13
- ChooksChick's Hints for HenthusiastsEdited on 3/30/13
- Incubation Cheat SheetEdited on 9/15/12
- categoryEgg Incubators
Alphabetical Article List
How To Make A Homemade Egg Candler Using Common Household MaterialsPosted 01/11/12 • Last updated 05/01/12 • 60361 views • 24 comments
Found an old can light in the garage. I bought a flourescent bulb for it, since they don't make much heat.
Cut a hole in cardboard so the eggs would set slightly in it. I made two of these, one for the smaller bantam eggs.
Here it is with an egg on it.
Here it is with an egg on it -- lit up!
How to candle
To candle, darken the room. Eggs can be out of the incubator (or away from a broody hen) for up to 20-30 minutes before starting to cool down inside, so don't rush. You can GENTLY roll the egg on the candler to get the best view.
Out of the 14 eggs in this batch, we removed nine by day 14 that were obviously not developing. There is a chance that a non-developing egg will explode in the 'bator, and that is messy and STINKY. It hasn't happened to me yet, though.
I wouldn't candle after day 16 or 17. The eggs are mostly chick (black mass) and air sac by then anyway, and they should be left alone for the last few days before hatching (no turning from day 18-hatch).
Pics from day 8 candling
(click any pic to see a larger version)
Nice air sac developing,
a good sign
Watch this one hatch
- ChooksChick's Hints for Henthusiasts
- › Michigan Thread - all are welcome! 7 seconds ago
- › Injured Quail 21 seconds ago
- › ~The Battle of the Empires~ New RP NEED PLAYERS 25 seconds ago
- › Bay Area BYCers! 44 seconds ago
- › How do pekin ducks Brood Naturally, What do I look for ? 45 seconds ago
- › Official BYC Contest: 200,000 BYC Members? Guess the DAY & HOUR and... 56 seconds ago
- › Angel star ~ angel vs demon RP 1 minute ago
- › May Hatch Thread--Fill up those bators n' broodies! 1 minute ago
- › Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds 1 minute ago
- › New Hampshire!! 1 minute ago
- › Barnevelder by pysankigirl
- › Nankin Bantams by Cambium29
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by awaxt2003
- › Leghorn by Chicken Goddess
- › Australorp by chickenman98
- › Aylesbury by cowgirlHH
- › 3 Quart Plastic Feed Scoop - Blue by cowgirlHH
- › Silkie by chickenlover89
- › Speckled Sussex by nova022
- › Little Giant - 3 Gallon Plastic Poultry Waterer - PPF3 by 29PalmsRanch
- › My take on the "On Golden Coop"... by rockhopjohn
- › New San Ramon California Ordinance Effective... by Tangramon
- › BillysFlock by BillysFlock
- › Chicken Mansion Supreme by sandrachicken
- › The Weenie flock by wein315
- › Feed-sack Fencing by SuperSilkies
- › I think I am reliving my childhod. My Mother... by skoodo
- › How To Tell Your Chicken's Gender by roostersandhens
- › Processing Day Support Group SUMMARY of THREAD by Sally Sunshine
- › The Lovely Holland Coop by the3littles