Related Forum Threads
- My New Chick Nursery – Collapsible Brooder for Easy Storage Last post on 3/7/12 at 7:53pm in Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance
- Now All We Need is the Quackerettes Last post on 3/4/12 at 7:29am in Ducks
ChooksChick's Hints for Henthusiasts
Edited on 3/30/13
- Brooder from a small animal cageEdited on 2/19/12
- Chick Inn BrooderEdited on 4/1/11
- Encorepistol's Chicken Brooder
Alphabetical Article List
Isabrowneyedsue's Chicken Brooder
Hi! I'm Rebecca,my family and I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Last summer we got our first flock of chickens from an older farmer who had too many. WE LOVE THEM. We love eggs, and even though the chickens are older, they still layed enough eggs for our family of four. this winter quite a few of them died, so we are trying our hand at raising replacements. They are growing so fast, and they are so darn funny! I like to think we are doing a good job, we haven't lost any chicks, and they seem so happy and healthy! I now am tempted to try and incubate some eggs from my browns but, I have to make an incubator first, so I guess that is my next project!!
Our Homemade Yooper Brooder
it's a plastic toddler pool that someone threw away because it was cracked
at first we just put the chicks in it with no wire, but then they learned how to jump
so we wrapped chicken wire around it and zip tied it together.
the wire alone wasn't strong enough to hold the lamp so we got some 2 x 8 lattice from menards ( 11.00 )
and that really firmed it up, i also bought a garden steak for 1.50 and that is what the light hangs on. i used a couple scrap
1 x 2's under the garden steak to keep the light from wobbling.
i hung a thermometer near the floor to keep track of the temp, put in the feeders and water fountains, pine shavings, chicks!
they seem to be really happy! they have plenty of room to move and play.
we have them in our dining room right now because in northern michigan it's really cold still
and that just adds to their social life. the kids hold them and they are really used to us being around.
i was really worried that our cats would jump over the top, so i was going to make a cover out of chicken wire,
but the cats don't bother it, the chicken wire we used is 36" tall, and that seems to be enough.
so, the total cost for our yooper brooder:
plastic toddler pool - free in the alley
chicken wire - free i had scrap
heat lamp - free i had an old one in the garage
zip ties - 2.00 menards
plastic lattice - 11.00 menards
1x2 - free i used scraps
green garden steak - 1.50 menards
bedding - 5.00 tsc
under 20 bucks, and about 30 minutes of my time.
yes, we are red necks. yes, we like it
- Brooder from a small animal cage
- › My metal shed turned chicken coop 7 seconds ago
- › Old fashioned Broody thread for ducks 2013 edition 39 seconds ago
- › Sweet PDZ, do I get the granules or can I use the powder? 44 seconds ago
- › Why is it.... 47 seconds ago
- › Norwegian Jaerhon 50 seconds ago
- › Diary & Notes ~ Air Cell Detatched SHIPPED Eggs 54 seconds ago
- › Boys VS Girls 1 minute ago
- › |~~Greek Mythology RP~~| NEEDS CHARACTERS! 1 minute ago
- › Texas 1 minute ago
- › chicks hatched today 1 minute ago
- › Leghorn by DavidKerk
- › Little Giant - 3 Gallon Plastic Poultry Waterer - PPF3 by 29PalmsRanch
- › Pullet-Shut Automatic Chicken Door Chickendoors.com by celticgarden
- › Mallard by Zombified
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by LeslieDJoyce
- › Automatic King Size Poultry Fount - 2550 by LeslieDJoyce
- › Chantecler by BravewingTheHen
- › Cochin by BravewingTheHen
- › Ameraucana by starbugs
- › Cornish Cross by cynthiagee
- › Teen Babies! A TragicStory (chicken edition) by McCaskill
- › Keeping a rooster or not - pro's and cons by Mr MKK FARMS
- › Rich & Sarah's "Cozy Cochin... by Scifisarah
- › And it's DONE! by PatQ
- › Chicken's Communication by roostersandhens
- › Yearg's Chicks - The Coop by YeargsChicks
- › "Mattersville" Coop/Pergola by match-nickel
- › Maggie's "Fab 6" Brooder by chixrus2013
- › Our humble coop - for 4 chickens. by Aussie-Chook
- › The Hot Headed Hen House by EagleChickens