Related Forum Threads
- My New Chick Nursery – Collapsible Brooder for Easy Storage Last post on 3/7/12 at 7:53pm in Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance
- Now All We Need is the Quackerettes Last post on 3/4/12 at 7:29am in Ducks
ChooksChick's Hints for Henthusiasts
Edited on 3/30/13
- Brooder from a small animal cageEdited on 2/19/12
- Chick Inn BrooderEdited on 4/1/11
- Encorepistol's Chicken Brooder
Alphabetical Article List
Mtullis's Chicken Brooder~Brooder~
For our Brooder, I thought some of the garage shelving would work good, but how?
Then we went to the feed store to get stocked with chickie supplies and voila! THERE it was!...
i thought i'd use the shelving because the support braces are right angles, so i cut the back and front to fit WITHIN the frame-not affixed to the outside.
then, cut the sides to fit next and push between the back and front. next i cut the door holes... ( some of these pics are off my iphone-sorry!)
then, slide the sides in from the open side(s) and push last into place with your hand through the door.
for the lamp, i drilled a hole through the shelf above and have an eye bolt, then drilled a u-shape at the top of the center-back of left compartment to run the cord down the back.
my thought is to have 2 compartments while they're small, so i cut a separating wall-the same size as the sides-which has a stabilizing 1x1 1/2 at the base and 2 braces at the top-for safety (don't want it to fall over on the little gals!). i can remove them and push to the right side as they get bigger.
i used braces on the corners just to be safe and tighten it up.
this is the separating wall
i then constructed the frame of the doors with 1x1 1/2", glue/clamps. finish nail gun, and wire stapled to the back.
attach with hinges-note: at 11:30pm they can get a little crooked!
and... VOILA! Chicken Brooder!
and now with pine pellets and a mirror
- Brooder from a small animal cage
- › Brand new Chicky Mama here :) 12 seconds ago
- › I received 6 peeps as a gift. I'm lost on breed was told Americana,... 20 seconds ago
- › ~The Battle of the Empires~ New RP NEED PLAYERS 56 seconds ago
- › Got twelve eggs but no hatching 1 minute ago
- › Coffee's ready... 4 minutes ago
- › REALLY why me 9 minutes ago
- › Need Water Pressure Help with Nipple Feeders 11 minutes ago
- › slow transition? 13 minutes ago
- › The Old Folks Home 14 minutes ago
- › Look at this! 17 minutes ago
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by DeltaBluezTess
- › Leghorn by Chicken Goddess
- › Australorp by chickenman98
- › Aylesbury by cowgirlHH
- › 3 Quart Plastic Feed Scoop - Blue by cowgirlHH
- › Silkie by chickenlover89
- › Speckled Sussex by nova022
- › Little Giant - 3 Gallon Plastic Poultry Waterer - PPF3 by 29PalmsRanch
- › Pullet-Shut Automatic Chicken Door Chickendoors.com by celticgarden
- › Mallard by Zombified
- › Feed-sack Fencing by SuperSilkies
- › I think I am reliving my childhod. My Mother... by skoodo
- › How To Tell Your Chicken's Gender by roostersandhens
- › Processing Day Support Group SUMMARY of THREAD by Sally Sunshine
- › The Lovely Holland Coop by the3littles
- › Cottage Coop De Ville by themorra
- › How to introduce your dog to your chickens... by Kathryn P
- › How to decide if a rooster is right for you! by Kathryn P
- › From citygirl to backyard chicken farmer by Kathie816
- › Teen Babies! A TragicStory (chicken edition) by McCaskill