Breed Information, Comments, and Experience with breed:I have six of these lovley hens and I adore the breed. They are very friendly and commonly follow me out of the coop. They are excellent layers of a rather large brown egg. The average hen is suppose to start laying at around 22 weeks and reach around six and a half pounds. They have a very high feed conversion ratio and the roosters mature so quick that they make excellent fryers around 25 weeks. The hens are most red with splashes of white throughout the body while roosters are the oppisite. Instead of white on red, the adult rooster is red on white. These chickens are the greatest members of my flock and make a terrific first-time chicken for any family. Golden Comets are considered "seldom-setters" but in my experiance they are "non-setters" because in three years with six Golden Comet hens, not one has went broody or even tried. The cause of this is because most Golden Comets are a cross between a Rhode Island rooster and a White Plymoth Rock hen. The father's breed is a "average-setter" and the mother's breed are "seldom-setters". This causes the Comet to be a "seldom-setter" , at best but this also allows the hens to produce eggs well into the late fall and early winter. These birds are very hardy and are excellent foragers. My hens take to confinment well but prefer to free-range. They are not only good layers and large enough to produce young fryers but when bred to a larger rooster, the chicks tend to follow the fathers genes and grow very large, while taking the egg-laying ability from the mother. I crossed my six hens into a Production Red rooster who weighs around twelve pounds and the offspring averaged about 9 lbs per hen and 11 lbs per rooster. The hens are as good a layer as their mothers. The Comet is also an excellent pet. If taught young and cared for by hand, the Golden Comet make the finest pets of all the breeds. They are especially good with children if socialized correctly. I recomend that anyone, wether new or experianced, add an order of Golden Comets next spring and I promise you won't be disappionted!
Gear mentioned in this article:
Related Forum Threads
- Diary of a Crossbeak: Support for Special Needs Chickens and their Keepers Last post on 10/29/14 at 8:43pm in Feeding & Watering Your Flock
- Black Star Roo Last post on 1/22/14 at 8:21am in General breed discussions & FAQ
- McMurray Mystery Chick Breed? PICS Last post on 3/9/13 at 6:38am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- Red Stars? Last post on 10/15/13 at 6:23am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- Red Stars and Black Stars Last post on 9/17/12 at 6:34pm in General breed discussions & FAQ
Star Red By Rstampa
Last edited: 1/10/12
- Star RedLast edited: 1/10/12
- Star BlackLast edited: 1/10/12
- itemStartagged by System, 1/10/12
Alphabetical Article List
Star Golden Comet
- Star Red
Currently, there are 860 Active Users (69 Members and 791 Guests)
- › Looking for Wyandottes. 12 seconds ago
- › Happy Halloween!!! (dosen't everyones chickens have costumes????) 19 seconds ago
- › mating issues 1 minute ago
- › ~Frindizzle's chat thread!~ 1 minute ago
- › What is the strangest thing your chickens ate? Mine just ate... 2 minutes ago
- › Mountain Peep's Awesome Chat Thread! (All friends welcome!) 3 minutes ago
- › Flubenvet 1% 6 minutes ago
- › NY chicken lover!!!! 7 minutes ago
- › The Cold Folks Home 9 minutes ago
- › Just wanted to share photos of our 6-week-old hatch! 10 minutes ago
- › Naked Neck-turken by jgoldy2
- › Cochin by LittleChicks4Me
- › Cornish Bantams by gootziecat
- › Chantecler by Aluckyshot
- › Wyandotte by LoveOfChickens1
- › Black Sex Link chicken by LoveOfChickens1
- › Easter Eggers by LoveOfChickens1
- › Rhode Island by LoveOfChickens1
- › Happy Hen Treats Mealworm Frenzy 3.5 oz Bag by Chickenchick11
- › White Star Hybrid by XxMingirlxX
- › Mon Poulailler
- › REVERSIBLE ROLL OUT SLIDING NEST BOX WITH...
- › How To Build Automatic Chicken Feeder For Free
- › aart's Almost-Waste-Free Funnel Bucket...
- › New Today
- › DIY Coop Drainage System for My Waterers or...
- › How To Raise Ducks For Meat, Eggs, Companions ❤
- › Stress-free Leg Mite Sprayer
- › Alaskan's no cost Bantam Coop
- › ~★~ Spirit Stallion of the Cimmeron RP! ~★~...