Why Raise Chickens In Your Backyard? The Many Reasons & Benefits
There are many reasons to raise chickens in your backyard, but here are a few of the most frequently expressed reasons people raise chickens:
Chickens are easy, inexpensive pets when compared to most other pets.
- 1 Bag of Layer feed lasts a month for many backyard flocks
- They mature much quicker than most other pets
- No housebreaking required
Hens will produce eggs that are fresh and nutritious, not to mention great tasting. Backyard eggs are also much healthier than their store bought counterparts.
Backyard eggs contain:
- 1/3 the Cholesterol of store bought eggs
- 2/3 more vitamin A
- 1/4 less saturated fat
- 2 times the amount of Omega 3 fatty acids
- 3 times the amount of Vitamin E
- 7 times more Beta Carotene
They make excellent chemical free pest and weed control
- Chickens will gobble up those pesky garden snails and slugs
- They'll even go after crickets and grass hoppers
- Hate pulling weeds? Chickens would love to help you out with that
- Own an orchard? Chickens will devour the fallen fruit before it can cause any issues
Chickens: The world's best and friendliest fertilizer
- Chicken manure has great levels of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium.
- Chicken manure is more economically valuable than synthetic fertilizers
- Chicken manure can make great fertilizer tea
Chickens: The perfect backyard pet
- Chickens can be very affectionate pets
- Kids love to be around them
- They make great 4-H Projects
- They can even be indoor pets!
Want even more excellent reasons to add chickens to your life?