Broody Easter Egger hen accept keets?

crc310

Songster
Feb 25, 2013
Michigan
I have a broody EE hen who has been sitting on random mixed breed chicken eggs approx 2 weeks. I found someone local who have guinea keets hatching and prob available on Sunday. Can I keep them in a brooder until the eggs hatch then put them under her or will they be too big? I have 1 guinea hen I recently adopted who was raised with chickens. I would like her to have friends that "understand" her. She thinks she's a chicken. Lol

I have a broody EE hen who has been sitting on random mixed breed chicken eggs approx 2 weeks. I found someone local who have guinea keets hatching and prob available on Sunday. Can I keep them in a brooder until the eggs hatch then put them under her or will they be too big? I have 1 guinea hen I recently adopted who was raised with chickens. I would like her to have friends that "understand" her. She thinks she's a chicken. Lol

Guinea keets start out about the same size as bantam chicks so week old keets aren't likely to be too big to be mixed in with newly hatched regular chicks. There may be other issues as week old guinea keets can be quite active. All you can do is to try it and watch them carefully to see if everyone is getting along with each other.

Good luck.

Good! Do I shove them under her at night or day or remove her, place them in the nest and let her go back in?

Good! Do I shove them under her at night or day or remove her, place them in the nest and let her go back in?

Since I take chicks and keets and poults away from their mothers, I don't know what works best when trying to add instead of remove. I have seen recommendations to add them at night. The problem with that is being there if and when a problem occurs such as rejection.

So after wait several weeks, nothing happened. I didn't get keets since we didn't have any chicks hatch. Maybe next time one of my hens (we have 2 with a history now) goes broody, I'll exchange eggs for newly hatched keets. Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom