Swollen crop

alisonc7148

In the Brooder
Jul 3, 2015
Hi my lovely Bluebell has a swollen crop. It feels like a very large water balloon, so I am presuming it is sour crop. There seems to be so much conflicting advice online about how to treat it......turn them upside down (or not), give them yoghurt (or not), give them apple cider vinegar (or not).... I am so confused. For the last 2 days I have kept her separate, with no food just water for the first day, and just yoghurt and egg today. I have tried emptying the crop by massage and tipping her up, and have also given her some olive oil.......Has anyone got any other ideas?
She is ok in herself, but when she runs I can her the fluid swishing around! I read somewhere about getting white fishing maggots for her to eat....
please help!!

I've never treated a hen for sour crop, so I'm not sure how to do it, however, I believe a variety of methods would probably work. Here is some information that could help:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/613861/how-to-treat-sour-crop

I hope your chicken gets better soon!
smile.png

Still confused...I can.t see how to get all that fluid out of her without making her vomit, but other folk advise against that. She seems ok in herself, a bit quiet. She is separated from my other one for the 4th day, no food, just water and some yoghurt/egg/olive oil.

Back
Top Bottom