Help me help my rooster please!!!

sarah91477

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 7, 2014
Hi. About a week ago I noticed that my rooster's crow started to sound funny. In the middle / higher part of his crow it was like a scream or how someone would sound loosing their voice or with a sore throat. Other than that nothing seems wrong. Now a week later it is his entire crow that sounds like a high pitched scream like someone who is really forcing out their voice when it is almost gone. His comb seems fine and red. His poop seems fine and no visible worm issues. He seems to be eating and drinking the same as normal, which for him is not a lot anyway. (Or he is a closet eater / drinker). Much to his dislike I held him and opened his beak to look inside. Not that I have any idea what normal looks like, but I did not see any of the red worms I have read about for gape. I did see what reminded me of "thrush" in a baby's throat. It was kind of cottage cheese looking but more yellow/brown than cream/white. I am not sure if it is just food or what. He free-ranges on occasion but otherwise is in a 10x10 space on grass or dirt with two hens during the day unless the girls are out free ranging. At night they have their own little coop that I put the three of them into. That said I have over 50 chickens total, all in their own little flocks. The only thing out of the norm for everyone else is: 1 the abnormal amount of flies that have found their way here with my assumption that something must have died in the field next to us and: 2. One of the other flocks of 9 hens that are closest to thim are shaking their heads, but I think it is to get rid of the flies. (I have put up fly traps now.) There is not much neck stretching, yawning, or beaks open unless it is hot and usually accompanied by their wings propped up / out to cool down. So, does anyone have any suggestions? I really just wish he would give his voice a rest, but alas, he is a rooster and instincts take over...

Thank you for your help and happy 4th of July.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom