New guy right here

planopaiges

Hatching
Jul 4, 2015
I had chickens when I grew up in South Texas, but there was a big difference between being 36 years old male with only 3, and 5 years old then with about 30. Currently I have one americanus, one dominique, and one brahma. I have had them for a few weeks as a gift from a neighbor who was moving. They are laying well, alMost daily. Only problem is with them free range is the flies. I read the forums and found nothing listed that worked in this texas heat. .. any other suggestions?

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Lovely to hear you have got back into chicken keeping :celebrate I'm afraid flies can be a real pest when it comes to chickens. I don't free range mine unless supervised so I keep my runs and the poop down as much as I can. Maybe drop the where am I where are you section of the forum for your state thread. I'm sure there will be lots of members from your area who will be able to advise you better. Here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

Wishing you the very best of luck with your girls in the future and enjoy BYC :frow

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Sounds like you have a lovely flock! Good luck with them!

Yes, the heat can definitely cause issues. Using certain herbs like mint, can help repel flies. Also, fly paper is very effective to catch flies. I like to hang a couple sheets of it outside the chicken run where the flies love to hang out.

Hate flies? If they fly low enough, chickens like to catch them. They large fly trap bottles would be good but, they probably lure in flies that wouldn't have been near your property otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom