How do I find a lost guinea keet? Help!!!!

CozyFanatic

In the Brooder
Mar 7, 2015
East Tennessee
My two guinea keets are 17 days old and till today I kept them in a small wire cage and put them outside on the ground in another wire cage during the daytime. Today I put them in a larger wire frame, (although with still the small holes, just more ground space) and while mowing my yard, one of them, the smaller one, got out and I can't find it!
Does anyone have any idea how I can find it? I have lots of chickens, babies, hens and chicks, and grown chickens who free range in my yard. It's a large yard, like two acres. I have lots of bushes and hiding places along with a garage and chicken coop that is open during the day and I've looked and looked and I can't see or hear it!
So any help I can get would be so great. I just can't face the idea of my baby being outside by it's little self and it's getting like 3 hours from dark!

So, HELP HELP HELP!!!

Thanks! :)

Anne

My two guinea keets are 17 days old and till today I kept them in a small wire cage and put them outside on the ground in another wire cage during the daytime.  Today I put them in a larger wire frame, (although with still the small holes, just more ground space) and while mowing my yard,  one of them, the smaller one, got out and I can't find it!
Does anyone have any idea how I can find it? I have lots of chickens, babies, hens and chicks, and grown chickens who free range in my yard.  It's a large yard, like two acres. I have lots of bushes and hiding places along with a garage and chicken coop that is open during the day and I've looked and looked and I can't see or hear it!
So any help I can get would be so great. I just can't face the idea of my baby being outside by it's little self and it's getting like 3 hours from dark!

So, HELP HELP HELP!!!

Thanks! :)

Anne

Check any hen that has chicks that may have been nearby. It would not have gone far on its own at 2 weeks + of age; not with a second keet near it. Do you have adult guineas the chick may have followed?

Nope, this is the first guinea keet that I hatched. The hens I have nearby have all their chicks and it's not with them! The other keet that I still have I am keeping in a cage with my baby peacock and an orphan baby bantam.
Just have no luck finding this one at all! I have looked the yard over and over and it seems to have just disappeared.
I have a lot of chickens....babies up to 2 years old...somewhere like 50 different ones, lol
Where in the world would it go? Just can't figure it out and I am about to have to give up on it!

The keet probably started wandering and got lost; or it may have followed an older bird with the same results. After all this time the chick has probably perished as it is doubtful that it could survived on its own.

Yes, I'm sure the baby's gone now. I realize that in future I am going to guard these little ones more carefully. I still have the one and he/she is getting so big! Almost as large as the peacock and they are great friends!
I have 6 more guinea eggs ordered and 6 peacock eggs in my incubator already and hopefully I can soon have a flock of these darlings!
I just love these birds...they have such unique personalities and are so sweet!!!
Thanks for all the advice!

Anne

Back
Top Bottom