Egg position day1-7 vs lockdown?

picadegallo22

In the Brooder
Jun 30, 2015
I have some silkies in a still air incubator, ready to go on lockdown soon. I have kept them in 1/4 of egg carton with bottoms cut out. All is well so far. My question is, should I remove them and lay them on flat grid so they can move around when they begin to pip or keep them in carton base?

I've heard people do it either way and it work. If the air-sac is steady, you can lay them on their side for a more natural hatching position.

Best of luck with your hatching eggs! Have you considered joining a Hatch-a-long? I joined my first and its a ton of fun.
smile.png

I have some silkies in a still air incubator, ready to go on lockdown soon. I have kept them in 1/4 of egg carton with bottoms cut out. All is well so far. My question is, should I remove them and lay them on flat grid so they can move around when they begin to pip or keep them in carton base?
Yup-either way is fine. Many people hatch upright in cut down cartons successfully. Personally I prefer mine laying on their sides.

If I've not got too many eggs I will hatch in cut down egg cartons. This is more for myself as I like to monitor pips and in cartons you can see more of the egg as they are not getting knocked about by hatched chicks. The only thing with cartons is that you can't see if you have a wrong end pip.

I've had just as much success with them on their sides too.

Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom