Can't beat the heat!

Amykins

Crowing
10 Years
May 11, 2013
Oh, it's hard for a poor widdle house duck. :p Wobbles n' Bean are having such a tough time this summer! My house faces west and is full of picture windows, so we're pretty much blasted by the sun during its peak hours.

Can't spend all day at the lake 'cuz I got things to do, can't keep them diaperless to go in and out of the tub whenever they want for obvious reasons, can't put ice cubes in their water 'cuz Bean is terrified of 'em.

Any house duck (or housepet owners in general) having woes keeping your animal children cool during this infernal heat wave?

Oh, it's hard for a poor widdle house duck. :p Wobbles n' Bean are having such a tough time this summer! My house faces west and is full of picture windows, so we're pretty much blasted by the sun during its peak hours.

Can't spend all day at the lake 'cuz I got things to do, can't keep them diaperless to go in and out of the tub whenever they want for obvious reasons, can't put ice cubes in their water 'cuz Bean is terrified of 'em.

Any house duck (or housepet owners in general) having woes keeping your animal children cool during this infernal heat wave?

Try fans and frozen jugs of water, which you need to place in plastic containers because of the condensation. And of course, shade the windows.

We have figured out how to work with natural cycles and keep the house relatively cool for the kitties.

This is not a quick fix, but we have low-E windows that reduce the amount of solar heat coming in - you may be able to find thin film you can put on your windows to do something similar.

And this year, though it may only be a tiny benefit, I am growing tomatoes and other taller plants on the west side of the house - so as they grow, they shade that side of the house.

The ducks sleep in the walkout basement that stays below 75F - the big picture window in their "room" is shaded by a deck (faces west).

We open windows at night when it is cooler and close them before it starts to heat up.

We have figured out how to work with natural cycles and keep the house relatively cool for the kitties.

This is not a quick fix, but we have low-E windows that reduce the amount of solar heat coming in - you may be able to find thin film you can put on your windows to do something similar.

And this year, though it may only be a tiny benefit, I am growing tomatoes and other taller plants on the west side of the house - so as they grow, they shade that side of the house.

The ducks sleep in the walkout basement that stays below 75F - the big picture window in their "room" is shaded by a deck (faces west).

We open windows at night when it is cooler and close them before it starts to heat up.

Can your ducks get to the tomato plants? I put fences around most of my plants, but the height of those wouldn't stop Runners from getting to them if they wanted to. I really, really want to get some Runners once we move even though my hubby says they creep him out, but I know there are things I'm going to have to take into consideration with ducks that are "taller" when they choose to be.

Our tomato plants are up on the catwalk deck, where the duckies don't go. At our place, it's the best location (sunny) for tomatoes, peppers and eggplant - we are on the west side of a hill, most of our place is wooded.

So, we have - oh, I don't know - 80 or so tomato plants in containers. I got a little carried away planting seeds in the early springtime.

Our tomato plants are up on the catwalk deck, where the duckies don't go. At our place, it's the best location (sunny) for tomatoes, peppers and eggplant - we are on the west side of a hill, most of our place is wooded.

So, we have - oh, I don't know - 80 or so tomato plants in containers. I got a little carried away planting seeds in the early springtime.

I need a setup like yours, and that's what we're looking for. I'm both excited and puzzled about having Runners. I know a duck is a duck, but I keep thinking about things to consider before I get them since they can stand so upright. It's almost like getting ready to adopt a child and looking around to see what you need to do. Even with all the ducks we have right now, I can point out things to hubby that would need to be different once we have Runners.

(Us having them is going to take some convincing since hubby says they creep him out, but he'll be fine.)

What about damp towels on the floor where they might hang out the most? It would of course have to be on a tiled part of the house.

What about damp towels on the floor where they might hang out the most? It would of course have to be on a tiled part of the house.

I don't think so...that may be rough on the skin of their feet and is just begging for mildew.

Have you tried frozen veggies and fruits in a dabbling pan ?

We have had a few days in the 90s here and my girls love frozen peas , corn and blueberries mixed in with their greens.

Have you tried frozen veggies and fruits in a dabbling pan ?

We have had a few days in the 90s here and my girls love frozen peas , corn and blueberries mixed in with their greens.

Yep, great stuff for hot days, and good for them. You can also chop up whatever things you use, mix them with water, then freeze them in ice cube trays. That makes a very quick cooling off treat for your babies!

Back
Top Bottom