Help, hurt duck...

new duck lover

Hatching
Jun 20, 2015
Central wisconsin
So I am a newer duck owner and it seems that one of my ducks has hurt his leg, he is limping and holds it up quite often, he is unable to walk well and definetly can't run. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to nurse it back to feeling better?

Welcome!

I would put him into a tub of lukewarm water and let him float for a while. That takes the pressure off, and usually cheers ducks up.

I would look closely at the foot - is there a sign of swelling, a cut, a splinter? Romy's splinter looked like a tiny dot - it had broken off level with her skin. I was able to extract it with tweezers.

There could be bumblefoot - a staph infection of the foot - generally you will see one spot swollen on the foot. Here is a no-surgery way to help the duck heal from bumblefoot. It must be clear iodine. Post 22

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...umblefoot-treatment-in-ducks/20#post_15463031

It could be a sprain - those take several days or even more than a week to heal up - floating time in lukewarm water at least once a day for a few days, and Epsom salt compresses at least once a day until it's better. Epsom salt is a laxative, don't let him get it into his mouth.

I also use T-Relief - just a tiny dab rubbed all up and down the leg at bedtime. I mean, I use it on the ducks for sprains. And for myself.

Thank you very much I am definitely going to try that I will have to say he's in the pool more than I thought he would have been on any normal day so tomorrow we will try the bathtub and some Epsom salts and I'll try to take a close look at his feet!
1f600.png
1f425.png

How old is this little guy? Make sure he doesn't drink the salt water. I use a small little hospital pan when I need to soak my ducks and stay with them the whole time so they can't drink it. You may want to try the compress instead if he won't stay still.

Ducks really are VERY hardy. Last week, a fox attacked one of my young males. He had some minor injuries on his back, but something was wrong with his legs. He couldn't put any weight on either leg. I put him in the shade with his siblings, with water in easy reach (and sometimes I would carry him to the bathtub, if he wanted), and let him rest all day. Then I carried him into the night pen for the night. There were NO external leg injuries. I was planning to ask about it on BYC the next day, but when morning came, he was only limping. Now he's fine.

My main male was also attacked a few weeks ago. One leg was sliced open, and his underside was kind of torn up. It only took a few days of resting and he was back to his daily activities!

So far, in my experience, they're pretty good at healing themselves. But swimming will help because then he doesn't have to put much weight on his leg. I have no experience with treating wounds, because they've all just healed on their own.

~Hannah

So I put my duck in the bathtub in some warm water and washed off his foot, it does appear it was a little bit swollen and didn't like me touching it, however, he is walking much better tonight :) thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom