Please help Bruce the injured rooster (Hawaii - Oahu)

emilysteng

Songster
May 21, 2010
Hawaii
Hi everyone,

I hope this is a proper place to post this message. I was a little confused about the rules for posting. I am hoping to find a good home for an injured rooster on Oahu in Hawaii. Here is his story.

- Bruce is a feral rooster out at the nursery where I work. He is the son of one of the hens we befriended over the years so he became one of our friends also. He is still feral but we would throw some cracked corn and treats out for him when he would come visit. He has been around for about 2.5 years or so. (We remember because he was a baby when the feral cat we adopted had kittens and he would hang around with the kittens like they were his family. His mom was having more chicks and sent him to independence rather early). He is a good rooster who has been taking care of quite a few hens over the years. Even though the owner recently got dogs and he had to move next door where it is safer, he would still come visit us occasionally and we could give him some treats.

A week ago we found him in the bushes just laying there. Turns out he has a badly broken leg that can't be fixed without surgery which I can't afford for him. We decided to take care of him for a few days and see if he goes way up or down. Well he hasn't gone down, he is eating fine though he can't walk yet. He can only stand and hop a little for now. He'll never be able to be out in the wild anymore as he would probably immediately get taken down by a dog or mongoose or other predator. But I hate to put him down so I am trying to find someone who would be willing to have him as a pet.

I know it is a slim chance someone would want a pet rooster, but I wanted to try my best. We really don't know what happened - probably a dog got a hold of him or maybe a car. I wish I could take him, but of course no pets are allowed in the place I just moved into.

I've attached a few photos of him - back when he was healthy and one of when he was a little boy with his cat family. And then how he looks now - one at the vet the other night. I realize it is difficult to have a rooster because of the crowing but I still have hope for him. I am trying to reach out to some local groups here on the island as well.

Thank you so much for reading Bruce's story. I hope someone special has the space and heart to take him in. Please feel free to contact me if you are or know of anyone who may be.

Emily

Awww, can you post in the free rehoming forum? Worth a shot for more coverage. Can he get any medical help at all? He may surprise you with his healing ability.

He can have aspirin.

Last edited:
Hello!

Thanks for your reply! I thought I did post this in the free rehoming section?

I got some new information tonight and am hoping for the best. Someone at the wild bird rehab haven here told me a local vet office does surgery with them for only 50 dollars. So I'm going to see if he can get his leg fixed up tomorrow. Hopefully it's not too late and fingers crossed!!!

Hello!

Thanks for your reply! I thought I did post this in the free rehoming section?

I got some new information tonight and am hoping for the best. Someone at the wild bird rehab haven here told me a local vet office does surgery with them for only 50 dollars. So I'm going to see if he can get his leg fixed up tomorrow. Hopefully it's not too late and fingers crossed!!!
You probably did post correctly, I was looking at new posts, which I don't usually do (Operator Error, Sorry!)

Good news that he can get fixed up and back to Business as Usual, he sounds like he is good boy and deserves it! Keep us posted!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom