How to get ducks more comfortable with you?

Pookiebutt

Chirping
Jun 23, 2015
We got our pair of ducks back in May. They aren't quite as friendly as we would like. We have to chase them to catch them but once we catch them they are fine. Even when they know I come to feed them they run away. Is there anyway to work with them to get them friendlier?

Sometimes spending time with them, just near them without approaching them can help . . . and treats can help quite a bit.

Sitting down, setting some treats right next to you and then for the first several times, resisting the urge to reach out toward them may help them warm up.

My Runners are quite friendly, but none likes to be picked up.

I give them lots of treats and they come by me but not real close to get the treats and they will wait to collect the yummies until I walk away. I will try this in their pen maybe. Otherwise the chickens and dogs will try to scarf up the treats.

I give them lots of treats and they come by me but not real close to get the treats and they will wait to collect the yummies until I walk away. I will try this in their pen maybe. Otherwise the chickens and dogs will try to scarf up the treats.
My khaki's hate being chased and picked up as well. Had to do it anyway to clip their wings for the first time--my babies are growing up! They forgave me right away though cause they still want their favorite goodies--lettuce, peas and earthworms. They all come over and grab this stuff out of my hands. In the process they peck at my fingers and let me scratch under their chins! Now they even come over to see if I have anything and hang out pretty close even if I don't. It really helps to identify what their most favorite treats are and yes just be prepared to spend some time on their level in the pen so maybe they aren't as distracted. Hope it works for you too! :)

Back
Top Bottom