Learning to roost

knickers77

In the Brooder
May 24, 2015
Mackay, AUSTRALIA
So our little flock are about 7 weeks old now & I have still been putting a light on at night for a bit of warmth. The trouble is, I'm sure they don't need it anymore but if I don't turn it all they all huddle at the gate & don't go to their roost or bedding! So I go turn on the light (old mother hen I am) and the head straight over to it and snuggle together & sleep! Should I just not turn the light on? Will they learn on their own to go roost at night?

yes, if you just leave the light off they will learn.. they will still probably all huddle in a corner for a few more weeks. They huddle to feel safe as well as warm.. since they're not roosting yet they're going to huddle together either under a light or in a corner... Mine just started roosting at 11-12 weeks of age... I know some people train their chicks to roost by putting them up on roost bars every night until they do it on their own.. but I just let mine figure it out themselves, and they had no problem. One roosts way up above my head in the rafters of my old coop.

Last edited:
yes, if you just leave the light off they will learn.. they will still probably all huddle in a corner for a few more weeks. They huddle to feel safe as well as warm.. since they're not roosting yet they're going to huddle together either under a light or in a corner... Mine just started roosting at 11-12 weeks of age... I know some people train their chicks to roost by putting them up on roost bars every night until they do it on their own.. but I just let mine figure it out themselves, and they had no problem. One roosts way up above my head in the rafters of my old coop. 

Thank you.....I thought that's how it would work! It's still a little cool at night so will leave the lamp on. Cheers

How cold is it there on the other side of the world(from me)?

It's the middle of our winter but it's only getting down to about 12 degrees Celsius at night..... We've had our cold snap & now it's back to this glorious weather. Wish it was like this all year but sadly Summer will be here before we know it and then it's temps of 30+ & ridiculous humidity

Mine are 8 weeks and are all roosting at night on their own! Since I moved them to coop they had light on 1st 2 nights just to make sure they were ok then I don't turn it on any more and they all go be rooster right about dust

Back
Top Bottom