Hen, Roo or well just simply a Chicken :)

chickenlil3

In the Brooder
Aug 2, 2015
Berne, NY

In the above picture the first 3 are the remaining older chickens I have left (2 NH Reds, 1 Barred Rock). I know it's not to clear of a photo but do I have 2 roosters and 1 hen? I was reading up on how to try to sex them by using their feet and the top of the heads but I can't say 100% sure I'm correct. Feel like playing guess what??? haha

Thanks!
Paula *AKA* Chick'n LiL

Given the large red comb at that age, the NH squatting on the left is a cockerel and the NH standing behind him is a pullet. With that light barring, the Barred Rock (3rd from the left) is a cockerel, and the younger NH on the far right is probably a pullet (although it's still pretty young for determining its gender accurately).

That's what I thought to. hmmm I know you can't have multiple roosters so I should get more hens huh? Well maybe I can wait to see if any of the babies are hens. Geez, can't they make it easy to sex like idk pink or blue haha

That's what I thought to. hmmm I know you can't have multiple roosters so I should get more hens huh? Well maybe I can wait to see if any of the babies are hens. Geez, can't they make it easy to sex like idk pink or blue haha

Actually you can have multiple roosters, but only if you have enough space for them and enough hens to go around between them. The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. As they mature and the hormones kick in, too many roosters will become very hard physically on your hens; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. The only reason you really need a rooster is to fertilize eggs for hatching, and 1 rooster can easily handle 10-15 hens in that regard.

We do have the room for 2 roosters so hopefully with the babies I don't get anymore because it will be so hard to have to get rid of any :(

Back
Top Bottom