There roaches in my coop!

chick peeps

Songster
5 Years
May 3, 2014
So I have found that there are roaches in my coop. How in the world do I get rid of them? Would they be harming my chickens?

They don't seem to be eating them. It's been like 2 weeks now. I was hoping they would eat them but they are still there

I have roaches in my coop under my feeder. Every morning when I open my coop to let the chickens out, I lift up the feeder and breakfast is served! My chickens know and they wait for me to do this every morning. I don't think the roaches will hurt the chickens, and maybe eventually they will start eating them.

Okay, the only reason I'm worried is because it is in the box and so they bury under their poop and such so I don't think they even know they are there

I hear what your saying, but If it were me, I don't think I would worry about it. Unless of course the roaches became an infestation. Then I probably wouldn't like that too much. I never had them anywhere else in the coop, but under their feeder. I'm in Az, so I think they go under the feeder for the coolness and darkness. Are you in a cooler climate? Maybe they go under the poop to stay warm? lol.

Maybe your chickens are too well fed: mine will eat anything that moves, and most things that don't. An insect the size of a roach would not last 3 seconds in the tractor with my hens .....

I saw a roach this morning in my coop when I opened the nest hatch. It's my worst fear come true. I read about roach infestation a few weeks ago, dreading the inevitable, and one source said that chickens will not eradicate them because their schedules are opposite. Meaning, roaches are nocturnal and chickens are not, so the hens won't see them to eat them. I'm fearful because the coop is near my house. Crap!

Last edited:
I worked with a former Orkin Man ..... roaches can survive on just about anything- what they need most is shelter ...... give them no place to hide, no safe place to rest.

Back
Top Bottom