Geese laying and sitting in late august

Justice07

Hatching
Aug 21, 2015
A friend of mine has geese lying and sitting in late august.What would the reason be.He has never seen it in 10 yrs.

The goose could be just hormone crazy.mine sometimes brood in late winter.the hormone track my start in fall instead of spring.

A friend of mine has geese lying and sitting in late august.What would the reason be.He has never seen it in 10 yrs.
Some geese like Chinese will lay this time of year not completely un heard of and this has been a crazy year too from what others have said.
Do you know the breed?

No they don't lay year round. I have seen others that had Chinese say their geese laid in the fall and laid for a while then quick and started back up in Spring

Lets see if @jchny2000 has anything to say about this. She has Chinese

No they don't lay year round. I have seen others that had Chinese say their geese laid in the fall and laid for a while then quick and started back up in Spring

Lets see if @jchny2000 has anything to say about this. She has Chinese
I have kept Chinese several times over the years. First time I have ever had one lay this late in the year, I am in central Indiana. Out of 7 hens its only this brown chinese girl. She has laid 6 eggs in the last 2 weeks now, and is brooding. The first 4 are infertile, will candle the last 2 this week. She also has a few duck eggs too, unsure if the duck joined the nest or mama goose just took it over. Also have Muscovy still laying, and they typically stop laying here by late June. Very strange year!

I have kept Chinese several times over the years. First time I have ever had one lay this late in the year, I am in central Indiana. Out of 7 hens its only this brown chinese girl. She has laid 6 eggs in the last 2 weeks now, and is brooding. The first 4 are infertile, will candle the last 2 this week. She also has a few duck eggs too, unsure if the duck joined the nest or mama goose just took it over. Also have Muscovy still laying, and they typically stop laying here by late June. Very strange year!
It sure has been. are your geese still breeding ? @jchny2000

Back
Top Bottom