Help hen fight/wound care/possible infection on side of torn mouth

kelly77

Songster
7 Years
Jul 20, 2012
I have been using warm water w epsom salt to clean area n corner of mouth. On day 3. She is in the house, quiet and seems like she is in pain. Will eat wet cat food mixed w crumbles & water..used a dropper to give water. Im also using neosporin on her face. Then giving her approx 1cc penicillin ( not sure if that is to much orally) This photo was taken on day 2 ..today there is a slight white flesh near the torn side of the mouth n inner..again using epsom salt w warm water to clean..is there something more I can do? BTW her eye is fine, but swelling of the face is more today.

Day 2

Day 3

You might try cleaning the corner of the mouth with peroxide. She actually looks pretty good in the day three picture. Bag balm is nice to use after cleaning. If flys are a bother, then Swat is good to use. Both help healing real well. Head wounds always look bad ( same with humans). As long as the eyes are ok and intact, and she is kept clean, she should be ok.

Thank you I did pick up some peroxide today...it seems to hurt her though..is this normal? Her face is scabbing and itchy but her energy has picked up so she must be doing better. She is in the house so no problems with flies...I have a chicken diaper on her and she has been comfy chillen on the couch haha Thank you for your response

.I did antibiotics for 4 days (orally) so I used plain yogurt to help support the good bacteria in her gutt. I gave her electrolytes w a medicine dropper..erythromycin eye ointment below the eye n a tiny bit inside for precaution, neosporine on her face, warm epsom salt compresses, I tried a q-tip with peroxide for the inside of the mouth where it looked like infection was starting but it seemed to cause pain so I only did it 2 days and let the antibiotics do the work and then lastly when she was left with just a hard scab I used coconut oil to soften it up and stop the itching...thats what finally made the scab come off. She is doing great now!

Back
Top Bottom