Dry incubation for button quail

just guessing that no one knows.
I think you are referring to the amount of humidity in the incubator? If that is the case then it will have some no matter what just from what is naturally in the air. The humidity should be around 40% and then raised at hatch to 60% or a bit higher but not too high or the chicks can drown in the shell. The humidity is to help them get free of the membrane in the egg shell. So I am not sure why you are asking this? Good luck with your hatch.

Ok thank you. I read somewhere about dry incubation where you don't add water till the halfway mark. It didn't give a whole lot of details so I was a bit confused.

depending on the humidity in the air where you live, I am in Colorado and we are a very dry state so my humidity in the house is about 25-30% normally. We installed a humidifier on the furnace to help in the winter but summers it stays about 40 in the house even with it on. So if you check your humidity in the area you have the incubator it will give you a starting point. You add water to increase the humidity on about day 14 it helps the chicks get out of the shell and membrane. I bought a hydrometer at Walmart for about $10 and left it in the incubator with the thermometer and it worked well. If you have trouble keeping the humidity up try adding a wet sponge to the bator and if you place it under the hole/vents you can rewet it with a turkey baster. Happy hatching!

I dry hatch Cot's and have 18 chicken eggs in the bator now, humidity is at 20% right now, but it gets to about 19 at hatch time, I do not add any water at any time. Cot's are desert birds so they wont require much humidity... if they make it to the piping point they all hatch.... if not, it's a right off. humidity is to much of a hassle for me, I did it when I started but have since stopped and have seen better results. Some people can't get past the humidity in the bator, but that's just how they do it, this is how I do. have seen better results dry hatching than I have with humidity.

Last edited:
Thank you both. Do you think that if I don't add water until around day 14, they will mostly hatch?

it should not effect the hatch rate but makes it easier for them to get out of the membrane. Hatch rate is up to the stock that created the egg. mom and pop! lol good luck
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom