EMERGENCY!!!! Chick might die!!

saltandpepper2

Songster
6 Years
Dec 4, 2013
Somewhere over the hill
My Coop
My Coop
So. long story short, it's hatching day for my broody, and I went to check on her, and one of the chicks that was supposed to hatch had most of it's shell completely gone! There were still veins in the membrane, so I place the chick, and the remainder of the shell into another sanitized egg shell to let it hopefully finish hatching. Is there anything else I can do????

That could explain it, I dont have very much experience with broodies but we have our one girl locked away from the rest of the flock while on her eggs, mainly because she gets very protective/aggressive to the other birds.

I usually do that with broodies, but this specific girl will refuse to sit on any eggs if it's not her chosen spot, so I left her thinking that there was a better chance of the eggs surviving if I didn't move her. Today I just let the coop closed, and so far one chick has successfully hatched

I usually do that with broodies, but this specific girl will refuse to sit on any eggs if it's not her chosen spot, so I left her thinking that there was a better chance of the eggs surviving if I didn't move her. Today I just let the coop closed, and so far one chick has successfully hatched
Awesome! I am counting down the last 3 days I think for my 2 eggs under my broody to hatch, which remind me I need to research the breed of the eggs because I have never owned one XD

I need help again!!! This hatch is going to be the death of me! The broody mom abandoned the rest of the eggs, and one was already half way hatching, and got too tired and cold to continue. I helped it out of the shell, but it was all bloody around it's rear and bleeding pretty badly, but all yolk was absorbed. I immediately stopped the bleeding and got it warm and dry. It's chirping really loudly, and might flop about, but that's all... Anything I can do, and do you think it will make it?

Back
Top Bottom