Adopted 2 White Turkey "Hens"- First timer

FaerieChicken

Songster
9 Years
Sep 26, 2013
Central Coast California
Hi there, I for whatever reason, saw a craigslist post for 2 free Trukey Hens that were 4H projects! I jumped on it. Don't know why but now I have 2- 6 month old Turkeys, they are laying eggs, and one is laying super weak shelled eggs and the other is good. I did a little google search to see what thier feeding requirements are vs chickens. I also was thinking that perhaps instead of eating them for Thanksgiving and Christmas that it might be fun to have some babies, but now I don't know what I have gotten myself into!

I kind of need some help! And without internet at the house, and without cell service range, I only have computer at work, which is where I am now, and if I happen to be in town and use my 3G on my cell phone.

Anyone have any websites or info that I can printout to take home with me to study over the weekend. The info I found on Google was a short, quick feeding guide line that said that if I am going to breed them then I needed to get special feed to ensure their calcium and phosphorus ratios(?) does this sound right. Also the protien levels and minerals and OMG I am feeling overwhelmed already just typing about it. Here is the PDF that I got from Google: http://www.google.com/url?url=http:...X-jDBw&usg=AFQjCNHq6VvmnGP70svjZGeV28x9U_K-1g

Then I found a local breeder of sorts that has some turkeys for sale on craigslist and she says that if I plan on breeding that I need to hurry up and get a tom ASAP as they only lay about a dozen in a clutch and stop laying! But she is reserved in her information and wilingness to help, she said in an email that " I would be glad to give you a full lesson on raising birds if you would like to get a tom from me." which makes me feel like she just wants to sell me a bird rather than help me understand anything.

Thank you in advance for you help.

If they are 6 months old they will be fine on chicken layer. I feed mine flockraiser.

6months seems a little early to be laying eggs byt it is possible.

If the birds are heritage breed that above diet is fine.

If they are bbw that is a restrictive diet. Cause they are bred for fast growth and to be butchered at about 18 weeks.

Could you post pics sometime maybe someone can I'd what variety you have.

Welcome to turkeys they are a blast.

Quote:
I wish I could post pics, I do not have cell reception out at the house and I do not have internet. I live at a ranch, and although I am a coastal resident, unfortunatly the hills block the tower signals and for some reason the Internet service providers like ATT and Charter cable do not have thier "stuff" updated in our area and cannot accomodate us at this time. UGH. But I can go with a pricer more restricted option of a company called SurfNet at $103/mo with a 2yr contract and a $300 equipment istall fee! :) Hence why I am work doing my research! They are all white, and very lovable. Their breasts feel very meaty and big if that helps any, and one of them likes to lay down every time we go into the pen but she walks just fine otherwise, and they both seem ok. I have them in with the chickens. But now, I am worried as I have been reading about BlackHead! :O So I don't have the ability to seperate them either, but I know my chickens haven't died from any parasites. So I am hoping that they are ok. Also, one of the girls is laying soft shelled eggs and the other night both layed eggs without shells..... But I have oystershell in there 24/7, mind you I just got them maybe 3 nights ago, I think on Weds night? YES I just checked it was Wed night. They each layed an egg that night, then the next night it was shell-less, and none on Friday night. Not sure yet about tonight as I am here for another 3 1/2 hours, then a 35 min drive home! I am starting to think I have got myself into a pickle!

I keep my turkeys and chickens together. So I wouldn't totally stress on that (blackhead).

The laying down when you go in the pen says she wants to mate.

I fear I have the White Broad Breasted turkeys, for meat. Are they like the Chicken Broilers, where they are going to die if I don't process them? I just googled white turkeys and found the closest turkey picture that resembled what I have, and that is what they look like.

But they lay a beige speckled egg, not white, so I am a little confused, because when I looked up that breed it said it lays white eggs!

So she wants to mate, hmmm, ok I need to get her a boyfriend then. Poor girl. Whenever we rub under thier beak and neck thier neck turns red. It changes color like a chameleon! Its interesting. And they make different noises, like popping in a high pitch when going to lay, or at least one does, and one is more vocal and outgoing than the other, the one that isn't so outgoing or vocal is the one that likes to laydown when you go to pet her or enter the pen!

Maybe the wild turkeys on our property will come around and mate with them?

How heavy are they, broad breasted are quite hefty, if that's what they are then enjoy them as pets, you don't have to eat them, I had some quite a few years ago and they lived about two years, but don't go just by color as there are white heritage as well.

My turkeys go where there are chickens, it's not the chickens themselves it the organisms in your soil, either you have it or you don't, and you won't know until you try.

Turkeys are emotional, that's why their heads change color to express emotions, and they have a vast language. This past year I ordered hatching eggs through porters turkeys, perhaps that's a way for you to get a couple more.

Quote:
I think they are heavy, but that is because I am comparing them to what I know, and that is chickens! but their breasts are really "juicy" for lack of a better term, and make my mouth water when I pet them! I don't know if that is just because they are turkeys or because they are meat turkeys. I am not trying to be insensitive, I am serious, I really to get watery mouthed when I feel their breasts! Their hatch date was in Feb according to the person I got them from. I have another question, do turkeys naturally go broody? Because I was just thinking too that if I want to breed them, I don't have an incubator and I am relying on Mother Nature to take her course! Also, the sites I looked at say that, for most of the breeds listed, all are poor egg layers, what does this mean? Like they don't lay every day or that the eggs are poor quality as in the one hen with the weekend shell and then the other night having shell-less eggs? Again, you guys are fantastic with all of your input, thank you thank you thank you.

Some go broody, mostly in the beginning of the summer, it's starting to wind down here, not sure where you are, mine lay soft eggs sometimes, I mostly find them inside the shed under the roosts, it's like they just fall out at night.

They call them poor layers because they are comparing them to chickens, most will lay for a bit and quit, then again, following a natural cycle of laying than brooding, not all wish to brood each time.

Turkeys are way more than big chickens, it might be hard to eat turkeys after you get to know how smart they really are, but feel free to eat them if you want, I'm not sure if broad breasted can go through all the breeding and brooding without human intervention. I would be curious to know if the wild ones would mate with them, mine have drawn them in a time or two, one tried fighting through the fence.

So I emailed the gal I got them from and this is all she could tell me about them:

"Heather,
I actually do not know what the breed is. they are entered as standard whites at the fair. They are probably confused but in heaven with free ranging. They did not do so here, as they were "show birds"."

Well that's no help, though it implies a heritage bird, I guess a picture might help. Do they waddle when they walk.

Back
Top Bottom