Are these definitely both pullets?

pepparaaraa

Chirping
May 4, 2015
London, UK

I went to collect 2 pullets today, speckled sussex.
Only one has considerably more wattle and comb than the other and slightly different tail feathers. No spur bits that I can see and both have quite skinny legs.
They are apparently about 16 weeks?!
The lady was quite off and rushed and I didn't get much time to look at them when there.
If I could have walked away I probably would, she picked them up by their wings which looked horrible (perhaps this is normal but not for me as I've only raised 2 chicks previously).
Lastly, they were in a clean space (too clean like no poop at all) but they smell like farm. My chickens don't smell really, to me anyway... Is it just because they are new chickens? Will their smell change when they are on the food I have (part FF) and same conditions as my other 2?
Thanks

Last edited:
I think they're both pullets, one's just a little faster maturing then the other, which is perfectly normal.
She picked them up by their wings!?
th.gif
Some people...
barnie.gif

As for the smell, yeah it's possible that they're not usually kept that clean. But of course, I don't smell anything when around my chickens and smell something-though not bad, but something-when around anyone else's. Just a different smell.
But, if you don't already know, QUARANTINE THEM FOR A MONTH!
At sixteen weeks it's fine for a pullet to have a comb and some wattles. Pretty birds, but really, by their wings?
somad.gif

Thank you for the replies.
Yes they are in quarantine, hence the not so cool digs.
I was pretty shocked about the wings thing as they squawked so I knew they didn't like it even if it was 'normal' but also thought it looked too rough to be normal and that it could break their wings?!
I guess it's like people who think it's okay to pick bunnies up by their ears.
Don't worry I won't be doing that to them. They seem very shy and scared. Hopefully they will come out of themselves a bit once they get comfortable.

I went to collect 2 pullets today, speckled sussex.
Only one has considerably more wattle and comb than the other and slightly different tail feathers. No spur bits that I can see and both have quite skinny legs.
They are apparently about 16 weeks?!
The lady was quite off and rushed and I didn't get much time to look at them when there.
If I could have walked away I probably would, she picked them up by their wings which looked horrible (perhaps this is normal but not for me as I've only raised 2 chicks previously).
Lastly, they were in a clean space (too clean like no poop at all) but they smell like farm. My chickens don't smell really, to me anyway... Is it just because they are new chickens? Will their smell change when they are on the food I have (part FF) and same conditions as my other 2?
Thanks
They look like pullets if their age is acurate, but they aren't Speckled Sussex. They have white earlobes and one clearly has yellow legs/feet.

I wondered this too as they look different, one has white earlobes and yellow legs but the other looks more typically speckled Sussex in her colours and actually has white legs.
Can people achieve a cross that looks like this?
I don't trust the woman I bought off is 100%.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom