Breeding Budgies

Chicken Lovezer

Hatching
Aug 30, 2015
Hi guys!

I need help..i have a few questions
I have 4 budgies one is definitely girl and one is definitely a boy not sure about the other ones yet..
how can I get them to breed and lay?
how will I know if a budgie is pregnant?
how do I know if they have mated?
how can I know if one is about to mat with another one?
Last of all how can I tell there EXACT age?

Thanks for your help! :)

welcome-byc.gif
When they are mature the cere on the males will turn a bright blue and on the hen a brown color. Do they have access to a nest box? Provide several, and the birds will pair up and start breeding. They do not become 'pregnant' - they just pick a nest site and lay eggs. I would suggest that you get a book on raising parakeets.

Hi,
I have been breeding budgies for 2 years now and i will try and answer your questions on my observations from breeding
how can I get them to breed and lay?
What i do is pair up the ones i would like to breed and put them in a seperate cage. I usually leave them together WITHOUT a nest box for about a week so they can get to know each other because believe it or not but some budgies will refuse to breed with each other,. Then if i see they have 'bonded'.. signs of bonding is: Male feeding the female, 'kissing' (rubbing beaks together) and when the male bobs his head up and down near the female. If you witness these signs then add the nest box and she should lay an egg within 1-2 weeks. If you add the nest box straight away then the female may lay an infertile egg as she has not 'bonded' with the male.
Budgies should a at least be 1 year of age to breed. Also if the female has a brown CRUSTY cere then this means she is in breeding season, however she does not need to have this to breed if just helps to know when she is deffinetly ready.
how will I know if a budgie is pregnant?
Budgies do not get pregnant, i monitor the female, if she is in the nest box for several minutes at a time, this means she is getting ready to lay an egg and is simply preparing. Also i have noticed with my female budgies, that when she is about to lay an egg, if you look at her vent (bottom) she will have a slight bump. This is the egg. if you see this, expect an egg within a few hours up to 2 days. This however does not happen for all budgies i am just telling you what i have observed over the years of my breeding experience.
how do I know if they have mated?
This you cannot know. If you have a bonded pair, they will always mate. It is best to have a female that is bigger than the male as the male has to 'hop' onto the females back to mate with her, it is sometimes hard for a larger male. But budgies can mate many times throughout the day so fertility is certain.
how can I know if one is about to mat with another one?
Again this is not known, if they have bonded and a nest box is available. They will mate.
Last of all how can I tell there EXACT age?
To tell the age of a budgie you usually look at their eyes and head bars. it is quite difficult to tell exact age. I am unsure how you can tell how old an adult budgie is. here are a few link you can look at. hope they help you.

http://budgies101.weebly.com/budgie-sex--age.html
http://kmbreeding.weebly.com/telling-the-age-of-a-budgie.html
Hope i have helped you! Good luck, breeding is great fun!!
wee.gif

Thank you so much!
you must have a LOT of experience with budgies I can tell
After reading that reply more confident than I did before...

your right breeding budgies is fun :) :)

Thanks Keah :) :)

Back
Top Bottom