What Breed is this White Chicken? - Cockerel or Pullet???

JoshFig

Songster
6 Years
Aug 4, 2015
I originally posted this thinking I may have a Cockerel, but fairly sure it was a white leghorn. 'sourland' replied with some great information, specifically that it wasn't a White Leghorn (see below). So now I have a complete mystery chicken. Any ideas on the breed as well as opinions on sex? It is 3 to 5 months old.

Background - I got a batch of mixed pullets from a friend a few weeks back. I assumed they were all hens, until we decided to get a rooster. We introduced a 6 month old rooster the other night. As soon as we put him in the pen, this 'hen' beat the stew out of him until he completely submitted. Could just be an aggressive hen, but as I researched leghorns - a few things make we wonder:
1) Big feet/legs - 'her' feet are bigger than our mature white leghorn
2) Comb is not flopping - this could be a not yet thing or a sign of a roo
3) Tail feathers - I have a mature leghorn hen and her tail feathers go straight up - this ones seem to be curving a bit

Any opinions from the experts?

Much appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply - any ideas what breed this is?

On related topic (probably wrong forum) - What attributes should I look for in a rooster. Primarily to protect the flock and keep the girls happy. If this is a cockerel, then I now have two but only need one.

I think Red Sex Link is it. I noticed some darker feathers coming in the tail this evening. Looks like I have two roosters now.

Thanks for the input.

Back
Top Bottom