help! Pipped over 24 hours ago

sagealbright

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
I put 7 eggs in my Brinsea mini advanced. Today is hatch day. 4 of the eggs never ended up developing. Out of the three that had movement in them the day before lockdown only one has hatched. That one was one of the two Easter eggers. The other Easter egger pipped over 24 hours ago but nothing since then. The last pink egg has not even pipped. I'm worried they are having difficulty since the only hatched chick is walking around and rolling the other eggs around. Is there anything I can do to help them out??

Just went down to check on the chick and he managed to completely hatched within an hour. Now just waiting on the last egg that hasn't even pipped yet. I saw movement in it when I last did candling before lockdown. Should I give it a few more days?

Just went down to check on the chick and he managed to completely hatched within an hour. Now just waiting on the last egg that hasn't even pipped yet. I saw movement in it when I last did candling before lockdown. Should I give it a few more days?
I'd give it 24 hours and then candle to see if there is any internal pip or sign of life/movement. Usually unless there are major heat differences in the bator, chicks that are going to hatch hatch out with 48 hours of the first hatcher. I recommend giving eggs 24 hours after the last hatcher and candling. I do not like prolonging the inevitable so if I am certain there's no life, I call it. Luckily so far I have been right. If you are more comfortable leaving them in a couple extra days, then do so. The farther away you get from "hatch day" the less chance that hatchers are going to be healthy so keep that in mind as well. I could never pull the plug on an egg I thought still had life, but there are many that won't let a hatch go past day 24ish.

Thanks so much! What happens if their is life in the egg when I candle it? Should I just leave it in the incubator or try to help it hatch?

Thanks so much! What happens if their is life in the egg when I candle it? Should I just leave it in the incubator or try to help it hatch?
Leave it in the incubator. There is no use "going in" after a chick that has not even externally pipped. The chances of causeing the chick to bleed out is very high. The vascular system between the chick and the egg does not fully shut down until hours after the pip. I won't personally throw out an egg that has life in it, but I won't go in after a chick that hasn't pipped and been pipped at least 18 hours.

Hi everyone, What a great web site. I am just new today and we have our very first eggs hatching in a incubator right now. It is day 20 and 10 out of 18 have hatched and we helped 2 that had a bit of shell stuck to them. Have had two that pecked a hole and nothing more. I amuse they have died. Still have 8 in and will leave them till the weekend. Great fun.

Hi everyone, What a great web site. I am just new today and we have our very first eggs hatching in a incubator right now. It is day 20 and 10 out of 18 have hatched and we helped 2 that had a bit of shell stuck to them. Have had two that pecked a hole and nothing more. I amuse they have died. Still have 8 in and will leave them till the weekend. Great fun.

Welcome to the forum! Seems like you are in a similar position to mine.

After your chicks hatch that have pipped. Wait a few days and candle them to see if there is life. That's what I will be doing now.

How long did you leave your hatched chicks in the incubator? I always give my chicks 24 hours before removing them and putting them in the brooder.

Back
Top Bottom