My Lavender Orpington's are big 'ole bullies... help?

selinah

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 22, 2014
Bellingham, WA
Can anybody give me advice or suggestions on what to do with my hens that are bullying my other girls?

I've noticed my smaller girls (Norwegian Jaerhon's) egg sgells are tremendously thin and the yolks are a lot lighter. That is if they lay at all. I'm almost positive they just aren't getting enough food because of the lavender orpingtons pecking at them when they eat.

They (Jaerhon's) used to be my most productive, non broody layers. Now they look a lot less healthy and barely lay a couple of eggs a week.

As for the rest of the girls, I'm pretty sure the lavenders are pecking their feathers out when they eat. The strange thing is that they're (lavender's) the most social/love being around us and running over to hangout the minute we are spotted outside.

I dont want to get rid of them, but rather fix the behavior (if possible), and get my little Jaerhon's back to normal health. Thank you for any advice or input!

Also, they are all free rangers. The Jaerhon's hate being caught, so when i attempt to catch amd feed them separately, they book it in the other direction.

Last edited:
Can you provide feed and water in multiple places so that they get enough? Chicken society can be cruel. Bigger, stronger birds pick on smaller, weaker birds.

Such behavior if excessive can result in reduced egg production.

Last edited:
Thank you sourland, I have it set up in both coops (that connect) but pretty sure rats/mice and wild birds will just eat it. Im thinking that I might just try keeping the Lavenders cordoned to their coop.

I really appreciate the input. I feel so sorry for the littler girls
1f622.png

Sometimes you can just put up a small wall, and 'hide' the extra feed dish behind it. It can just be made of cardboard, or a pallet. Then a smaller bird can eat and be out of sight. The bullying bird is defending her food, but if she does not see the younger smaller bird eat, she kind of forgets them.

If you set your wall up carefully, you can set it so that if a bird is eating at one station, she cannot see who is eating at the other and vice versa.

If you want to reduce rodents, make sure the bowls are empty at dark.

Mrs K

Last edited:
Are all these birds the same age and have been living together since hatch?

Multiple feeders available 24/7, and protected from wild birds and rodents, is very good advise.

Thank you for your responses! The birds that are being picked on are actually the older girls. They're just significantly smaller than our lavenders. I will have to try hiding the feeders. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom