Scratching my head . . . Roo or Pullet?

Mtn Laurel

Crowing
11 Years
May 18, 2012
Northern Virginia
My Coop
My Coop
Need input from someone experienced with roo's. My broody hatched out 7 chicks, 3 of which were definite roo's. They had large red combs, wattles, and were enjoying "Roo Play" - the raising of hackles while staring down and challenging each other. Oh, yeah, they were crowing, too. I found good homes for those three.

THE VERY DAY AFTER WE GIVE AWAY THE ROO'S . . . this one gets pink in the face and starts crowing! Not crowing in the morning but at random times during the day. We've only heard it a handful of times and hasn't crowed at all this morning. No wattles to speak of and this one never participated in "Roo Games".

Obviously a mixed breed and looking like it might be sort of rumpless, I'm unable to figure this one out. See two pics below . . . what do you think? It's 11 weeks old.

cockerel. He was just on the down-low so he didn't get his butt kicked by his brothers
smile.png

He's not rumples, he's just got no tail feathers. If you feel his back end, you'll feel a tail bone there. Rumpless birds have no tail bone and have a down-ward sloping build.

Thanks, everyone, for your input. That little stinker! He's a sly one, alright. He must have been hanging back since the other three were so rowdy. Haven't heard a peep - or a crow - from him today. Kinda' hoping he's going to be the "strong silent" type. If he stays as quiet as he is now, I'll be able to keep him.

However, I've a feeling it will change as he matures. Thanks again!

cockerel. He was just on the down-low so he didn't get his butt kicked by his brothers
smile.png

He's not rumples, he's just got no tail feathers. If you feel his back end, you'll feel a tail bone there. Rumpless birds have no tail bone and have a down-ward sloping build.

I agree.

Back
Top Bottom