Agressive runners????

Ok so I have 3 runners and 2 male and a female and I was thinking about getting more maybe a different breed the but will they get along? Are Indian runners territorial and aggressive?

1 female to 2 males is asking for major trouble and you need to get around 5 more females, run 2 flocks and get another female for her and keep them separate or regime the boys or girl. That is a bad ratio and they wi over mate her. It doesn't matter what kind of sucks you get, I have a mixed flock but you need more females if you are keeping the boys.

Hi @liv22, I remember a few of your past posts. Before you add to your flock, have you figured out what to do with your current one as it is now? Do you have an adequate shelter yet? Are you still releasing them unwatched on the neighborhood pond? I am really interested on how everything else is going for your ducks right now.

Jen

Hi @liv22, I remember a few of your past posts. Before you add to your flock, have you figured out what to do with your current one as it is now? Do you have an adequate shelter yet? Are you still releasing them unwatched on the neighborhood pond? I am really interested on how everything else is going for your ducks right now.

Jen

Hi I know you and some other people said that they will die if I let them go but the two wild ducks have seemed to disappear I have no idea where they went it's the white one and the half one that disappeared and they never returned im asumming they're dead.:( but their is one left so my ducks went running up the pond and they were up their all day and the one left was quacking for his friends but they were not there and are currently still not, so my ducks went in the water and followed him like they were tourists and they went all around the pond which they have never done before, and love the one wild duck and so at night I went up the pond with their food and they didn't come over and I started to panic because about what you guys said and it was getting dark out too and I started to cry because I was afraid that they would have died so it was dark out and they didn't come down at all and I was still crying because I love those ducks they're like my own kids so I just had to let them go because they didn't come out of the water on the pond and there was nothing else I could have done, so the next day I went up and they were luckily alive and bonding with the only lonely duck so I just let them go and that was like a week and a half ago so they have been up their day and night and they are alive (knock on wood) so I bring a cup of food up their for them every day and they come and eat including the wild duck so they love the pond and now it's theirs and they live there so ya I am very happy! But their domestic so that's why i was thinking about getting more incase she doesn't have babies, because the guy at the store said she might lay on her eggs, so not currently up the pond their are 3 males and 1 female! I hope they have babies lol! I love the babies !

Hi I know you and some other people said that they will die if I let them go but the two wild ducks have seemed to disappear I have no idea where they went it's the white one and the half one that disappeared and they never returned im asumming they're dead.:( but their is one left so my ducks went running up the pond and they were up their all day and the one left was quacking for his friends but they were not there and are currently still not, so my ducks went in the water and followed him like they were tourists and they went all around the pond which they have never done before, and love the one wild duck and so at night I went up the pond with their food and they didn't come over and I started to panic because about what you guys said and it was getting dark out too and I started to cry because I was afraid that they would have died so it was dark out and they didn't come down at all and I was still crying because I love those ducks they're like my own kids so I just had to let them go because they didn't come out of the water on the pond and there was nothing else I could have done, so the next day I went up and they were luckily alive and bonding with the only lonely duck so I just let them go and that was like a week and a half ago so they have been up their day and night and they are alive (knock on wood) so I bring a cup of food up their for them every day and they come and eat including the wild duck so they love the pond and now it's theirs and they live there so ya I am very happy! But their domestic so that's why i was thinking about getting more incase she doesn't have babies, because the guy at the store said she might lay on her eggs, so not currently up the pond their are 3 males and 1 female! I hope they have babies lol! I love the babies !
Please don't get any more ducks.

Please don't get any more ducks.

I agree...this is a recipe for disaster. Runner ducks cannot fly, and they're light colored so they'll stick out like a sore thumb to predators. You have no place to keep them and they're on a public pond. This is very, very bad. They need a shelter, they need protection, they need veterinary aid in case something happens, and they need proper care and attention.

Honey, we weren't afraid of the other ducks killing them as much as predators killing them. As you said, the other ducks keep disappearing, it would be so sad if yours did too! If I was you, I wouldn't let your ducks go to the pond at all. Keep them in the yard and get them a kiddie pool. They will still have a blast, and they won't get killed. Please let me know if you need more help.

Edit: I just read the rest of your reply. Your ducks most likely won't survive long on the pond. Please don't get more,especially runners. You live in PA? You have cold winters, and runners have very little body fat. They need warm shelter and a constant supply of food. There will not be enough food to forage, and they could starve very easily. If they come back to you, take them home and keep them there. If you love them as much as you say you do, please do not release them to the pond any more.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom