New to Eastern Idaho

drsteik84

In the Brooder
Oct 7, 2015
Blackfoot, Idaho, USA
Just moved to Blackfoot, Idaho from South Carolina. Experimented there for a couple of years with lots of different chicken breeds from hatcheries. Loved it. However, I am really wanting to focus on just Australorps and getting them as near the SOP with good utility as I can. Sold all my chickens when I left SC and don't have any at the moment. Just about got my new house set up to properly house them. Hoping to get some new chicks from a breeder and not a hatchery to get started this time. Still haven't decided between blue or black Australorps. That probably depends on what I can find from a breeder though.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I've just moved to your neighboring state, Montana (NW corner of it). I've ordered Black Australorps on a number of occasions from Dunlap Hatchery in Caldwell, ID. Their Aussies will likely never win any poultry shows, but they sure are excellent layers. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is loads of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in finding a show quality Aussie breeder.

Hello
frow.gif
and Welcome to BYC!
So glad you joined! You should check out the Idaho? thread to talk to others from your state :) I hope you enjoy BYC as much as I do!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I've just moved to your neighboring state, Montana (NW corner of it). I've ordered Black Australorps on a number of occasions from Dunlap Hatchery in Caldwell, ID. Their Aussies will likely never win any poultry shows, but they sure are excellent layers. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is loads of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in finding a show quality Aussie breeder.

I will have to look into Dunlap Hatchery. I am not the most patient person. If I can't find any from breeders soon after I have my coop setup, I may go ahead and order some. I could always focus on getting a couple really good quality roos later.

Last edited:
I will have to look into Dunlap Hatchery. I am not the most patient person. If I can't find any from breeders soon after I have my coop setup, I may go ahead and order some. I could always focus on getting a couple really good quality roos later.

Sounds like a good plan.

I was thinking that myself, I never even knew there are Blue Australorps. They are such a worthwhile breed. Welcome to BYC.

Back
Top Bottom