HELP HELP HELP

manctank

In the Brooder
Oct 8, 2015
Ovilla TX
Okay

I need help here i bought myself a nice coop that will hold about 6-8 chickens comfortably,last Sunday i bought my self 3 buff orpington chickens and 2 Delawares and they will not go in the hen house at night i have put a small light in there they have purina layer pellet to feed on up there as well and all they wanna do is roost on the floor of the coop. I have tried showing them into the hen house by putting them in there myself i am at a total loss how to get them in there. ANY IDEAS WOULD HELP.

welcome-byc.gif

This is where a picture is invaluable
smile.png
. If we can get a pic, we can help troubleshoot for you. Also, how old are your birds?

The birds are between 3-6 mths old when i bought them they told me all 5 are laying now i also forgot to mention i have a guinea to this flock to help with predators.

Have you tried putting them inside after dark? It might take some time for them to get used to the new set up. My chickens wanted to sleep in a 'dog pile' for a few weeks after I put up permanent roosts for them.

I think the ladder is your issue. I have walk-in coops myself so no personal experience, but I think they need something more like a solid ramp to walk up. Hopping/flapping from step to step is going to be difficult for them and they may not get it. it may also be a bit steep.

I would also not expect to add anymore birds to that coop. I think the 5 you already have pretty much max out your available space. More would invite behaviors from overcrowding.

Back
Top Bottom