Hello BYC!

DoubleLot

Hatching
Oct 9, 2015
Hey everyone,

Super excited to join the BYC community, just picked up my first 16 chicks today (8 barred rocks and 8 Brahmas). I am sure I will have lots of questions as time goes by, but right now my main focus is building the coop for my birds to move into when they get bigger. I have plenty of space to work with on my property and so far I have started with a very basic 18sq ft coop but I would love to see some simple and cost effective plans to help me design a coop that will be perfect for my birds ( if anyone has any suggestions I should also mention that I will be getting some ducklings soon and would like to build a separate coop that will be attached to my chicken coop.) I look forward to meeting every one and sharing all of my progress pictures!!!.

Feel free to message me with any ideas regarding coop designs and or general care taking tips you may have.

- DoubleLot

Hi there and very big welcome to BYC! There's lots of info on the coop design thread for you to take a look at, and also the Learning Centre is a great resource. Don't be shy with any questions you may have though!

CT

welcome-byc.gif

Chicks are fun and grow really fast. Good that you're getting their coop started! Some things that are important to keep in mind with a coop:
* Ventilation so ammonia smells don't build up
* Space, the bigger the better. Chickens hate to feel crowded and you may want to have enough room for more birds in the future
* Make it tall enough you can stand up inside. It will make it easier for you.
* Easy to clean. Chickens poop. A lot.
* Forget using chicken wire, go with hardware cloth. It will keep your birds safer.

You'll learn a lot reading some of the coop build stories written by members (with lots of photos):
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops

Good luck, have fun!

NorthFLChick has given you excellent advice. Do follow the link re: coop designs. Many types, many sizes, . You may also want to post on the "Duck thread," for advice on meeting their needs.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens, glad you joined the flock
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom