Automatic coop pop door reviews?

diggergal

Songster
10 Years
Dec 2, 2010
Illinois
Has anyone purchased from Fleming Outdoors the "Hen House-Automatic Chicken Coop Door-Basic" ? I have seen alot of reviews on this site about the Ador1 pop door but I am concerned because we have a covered run and a lot of shade around our coop door. I liked the idea of Fleming's coop door because it is electric w/battery back up and we already have electricity to our coop. I am wondering before dropping this large sum of $$$ if any one else has had experience with this particular door?

I was looking at the Fleming outdoors door and the Coop Tender door. Still haven't decided yet myself, but I looked on their Facebook page and was uncomfortable with the company which is why I am still searching for a door. It's such an expensive and important purchase. Good luck with your search :)
I see that QCsupply has the exact same door as Fleming.

Last edited:
I bought a pullet shut auto door, solar panel and light iode for self-programming. Door is great, super easy to install. Only trouble is i keep finding my chicks on the wrong side of the closed door at night.

I went with the pullet shut door as well. I went with the trickle charger and I set the time manually rather than the light sensor because I want them locked in a little later in the mornings so they do not annoy the neighbors. The door has worked great for 9 months now. The only complaint I have with it is setting the times the door opens and closes. Each time you want to adjust the times you need to set both the open and closing times by going out at the time you want the door to open and again when you want it to close. A different form of timer that you could set at anytime would be a little less of a hassle but it is a really minor issue overall. I am planning on buying a second for my grow out coop.

I bought a pullet shut auto door, solar panel and light iode for self-programming. Door is great, super easy to install. Only trouble is i keep finding my chicks on the wrong side of the closed door at night.
You need to adjust the light setting so the door shuts later and allows the chickens to get in before it closes.

You need to adjust the light setting so the door shuts later and allows the chickens to get in before it closes.

Awesome! But i bought the sensor that opens and shuts itself based on the amount of daylight... so how do i reprogram something that is supposed to program itself?

There is no adjustment for the amount of light that triggers the door to close?

Well... no. And yes.

I think i solved it tonight.
The instructions say to make sure to point the sensor straight up towards the sky. The assumption being you have an unobstructed "view".
But mine was obstructed by a tree and a roof overhang. So i "tilted" it to point eastwards out towards the sky.
And they all went in. And it was so dark before it closed!! So i think i've licked it.

Cheers everybody!

Well... no. And yes.

I think i solved it tonight.
The instructions say to make sure to point the sensor straight up towards the sky. The assumption being you have an unobstructed "view".
But mine was obstructed by a tree and a roof overhang. So i "tilted" it to point eastwards out towards the sky.
And they all went in. And it was so dark before it closed!! So i think i've licked it.

Cheers everybody!
That's great. It's definitely nice not having to worry about opening and closing the door every day.

Pullet Shut Door is the way to go, in my opinion they are the best made doors period & I researched them all . A big bonus is being able to make a phone call to the company and one of the owners will answer and cheerfully answer any and all questions about their product . They are proud of the product they have produced, as they should be.

Go with the Day/Night Sensor, set the door up and forget it about it .

Back
Top Bottom